CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

So feisty at first but then settles, input?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by grankin01 View Post
@ScottyK, I believe he meant that you had a good idea and that the hook would be preferable to reaching in with your hand if you were scared of a bite and that THAT would make it worse ... not the hook. I agree with you as well and suggest that the OP try your idea until they become comfortable and confident handling the animal.
Understood, and I just want to be clear. I'm offering the suggestion as one way that seasoned snake keepers deal with a specific behavioral issue, not as a way to pick them up until new keepers are more confident. The idea is to use the hook until the "snake" gets more comfortable being handled

I have kept and am very experienced with handling difficult snakes. I don't now, nor did I ever use a hook as a substitute for learning. It's merely a tool that works in certain situations. Hooks can work almost miraculously with nervous corns. The change can be dramatic. They just don't recognize the slender hook as a threat. It usually completely defuses the initial defensive reaction. This usually results in the subject settling down much more quickly...

Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #32
grankin01
I agree and also didn't really explain myself too well either. Along with the human element of nervousness I took for granted that it was understood the snake would benefit from less stress as well (I know better than that ... take NOTHING for granted). The less stress the animal endures the faster it will settle down into a chill life.

Out of my three the milk snake is the one that tries to race away the most but it only lasts for a few seconds. She does, however, make the corn snake look like he moves in slow motion. I have yet to run into a "difficult" animal and welcome the challenge and learning experience.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #33
ScottyK
Understood x 2

Sooner or later you'll run into a difficult one. Hopefully you'll try my suggestion as it will make your life much easier. Especially if it's something like a Bull or Pine snake that can give you a good hard bite...

I love milks too, and also find them more prone to run away, which is a good thing. Those Love Okeetees threw me for a loop though. My wife renamed one female Satan it was so bad. It would assume the S position if you got within five feet of it's enclosure!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #34
grankin01
Aptly named

Orion has rattled against the side of the butter dish we feed him in once. I think this was his way of telling me to leave his food alone though.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #35
StarpphireEnigma
sorry, i ment a hook would be better than him reaching in with his hands and pulling back from a bite- sorry for the missunderstanding

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #36
grankin01
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarpphireEnigma View Post
sorry, i ment a hook would be better than him reaching in with his hands and pulling back from a bite- sorry for the missunderstanding
No worries. We debated, LOL.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #37
StarpphireEnigma
and you did it well with no blood shed- bravo

Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #38
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarpphireEnigma View Post
and you did it well with no blood shed- bravo
I gave up bloodletting on internet forums years ago lol

Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #39
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by grankin01 View Post
Aptly named
Her first name was Petunia. Perhaps the most inappropriate name in colubrid history

Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #40
StarpphireEnigma
lol what inspired that name? lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google