CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Look what I have now!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
MysticExotics
Look what I have now!

A tadpole!
(S)he is a Bumblebee Dart Frog (Dendrobates leucomelas)!!

My friend, Matt Stewart (NW Bloodlines) has gotten into Dart Frogs, and has been breeding them. He has a few different species, this being one of them.

He gave me this little tadpole so I can watch the metamorphic change.

Matt named him/her "Franklin".

When I move my fish up to their larger tank, I will be cleaning out my 15 gallon tank and build a planted tank for these guys. I will get a couple more from him after he has more babies.

Franklin is the lower left corner of the bin.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Tavia
Awesome! Keep thinking about dart frogs but already have too many projects going! I sure like to look at them though!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Awesome! Keep thinking about dart frogs but already have too many projects going! I sure like to look at them though!
I've sold all but three of my Crested Geckos, and I was thinking I wanted another planted tank, and every time I went over to Matt's, I'd look at his planted tanks with the frogs, and I started talking more and more about getting into them.

I've toyed with the idea of frogs for a few years, and a couple months ago, I told Matt that I was becoming more serious about getting into them. He said he'd hook me up with the frogs, and said he wanted me to start off with them as tadpoles, so I can watch them grow.

I will be on vacation for a week starting next Saturday, and I was planning on setting up the bigger fish tank, so it is perfect timing for me to start the planted tank for frogs.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #4
DollysMom
Oh how cute! I love tadpoles and frogs. Congrats and enjoy.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #5
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Oh how cute! I love tadpoles and frogs. Congrats and enjoy.
Thank you!

It brings me back to when I was a kid, and we were at our great aunt's home for a large family reunion. They had a large pond in the cow field, and I caught a bunch of tadpoles in a big coffee can.

I intended on bringing them home. (I don't know what I thought I would do with them once I got them home.) LOL

When the time came to leave, I left the coffee can on the kitchen counter.
I was so disappointed when my mom wouldn't turn around to go get it.
LOL

Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #6
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Thank you!

It brings me back to when I was a kid, and we were at our great aunt's home for a large family reunion. They had a large pond in the cow field, and I caught a bunch of tadpoles in a big coffee can.

I intended on bringing them home. (I don't know what I thought I would do with them once I got them home.) LOL

When the time came to leave, I left the coffee can on the kitchen counter.
I was so disappointed when my mom wouldn't turn around to go get it.
LOL
Great memory. Love that story. Reminds me of similar in my own childhood, too. Isn't it great to be grown up and actually bring the tadpole home, lol? Hope there will be pics as this little one progresses!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Nanci
I grow tadpoles in my backyard all summer long! I love it when they have legs AND a tail!!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
kdickens
I had to look up this frog to see what it looked like! Beautiful. Looks like there are many ways the spots can be 'arranged' ... kinda like the corn snake! You may see others looking to get a Bumblebee Tadpole!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Great memory. Love that story. Reminds me of similar in my own childhood, too. Isn't it great to be grown up and actually bring the tadpole home, lol? Hope there will be pics as this little one progresses!
Yes! I also brought homean Axolotl when I was a kid. A guy that lived in the area raised them, and gave one to me. I was so excited, but my mom made me take it back.
She let us get hamsters after that, instead. Not nearly as cool. LOL

I will certainly post progression pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I grow tadpoles in my backyard all summer long! I love it when they have legs AND a tail!!
I love hearing frogs at night!
I hope to build an outdoor pond at some point.
I'll make sure to post extra pics of that for you! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
I had to look up this frog to see what it looked like! Beautiful. Looks like there are many ways the spots can be 'arranged' ... kinda like the corn snake! You may see others looking to get a Bumblebee Tadpole!

I love their bright colors!

A couple of the times I have gone over to Matt's, there have been about 5 or 6 babies at a time, in various stages.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Pogie
I love tadpoles, they are so cute!! When I was a kid we use to catch them all the time too I had a tank full of them once and before I knew it our house was full of baby toads rotfl.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google