• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ruth the Beardie

Ruth has had a lot more energy lately and is perking up. She's been using this newfound spunk to throw me a ton of attitude lately. She turns her nose up at her veggies, and I searched far and wide until I found organic collard greens, escarole, endive, and mustard greens. She wants none of it. Just crickets, crickets, and more crickets.

I took her outside for some healthy rays after her morning bath. After these photos were taken, she puffed up at me like she was trying to be a frilled dragon. So I took her inside and gave her more crickets. She was an angel after that. So these are the joys of motherhood, with a stubborn daughter...
325f9c12c757942df00f4d4b5537275c.jpg

A close up of Miss Attitude :)
She cracks me up
fa76ba3d93782f80465912fd0e473d27.jpg

Wow, that's really interesting. I'll definitely give it a try. I'm not sure how I feel about giving her rabbit though. I've got some silk worms on order that should be arriving tomorrow. I was hoping to mix those woth her veggies to make them more tempting. If that doesn't work, I'll give the links a go.

I've heard that you can gut load the crickets with veggies. I don't have a clue how to go about it though, not having any Beardies.

In any case, I love a lizard with attitude. Ruth, you go girl!

Bless her little heart! You are so kind to take her in :) I had to re-home my beardie after I left a bad situation recently, but he ended up with a very good friend and her daughter is IN LOVE!!! They send me updates and pictures all the time and it makes me feel so good that he is in such good hands and loved so much. I've enjoyed reading about Ruth's progress, please keep us updated!

I discovered that the larger crickets at work will absolutely devour collard greens and spinach. They didn't seem as fond of kale, though perhaps it's too thick. Definitely worth feeding any crickets you keep on hand leafy greens.

Dolly- I've been gutloading with calcium rich food and water gel. I think she knows the crickets are high in calcium, and that her body needs it. If the silkworms don't get her munching on greens I'll give those reptilinks that Dragonling posted a try. Ruth is such a trip. Every day is an adventure!

Zombiegirl- I'm glad your beardie found found a good home with your friend, and that her daughter loves him :) it's probably a huge weight off your shoulders to know how he's doing well and to be able to check in on him.

I'll definitely keep you all posted on her progress! She's been moving around more and seems to be getting more strength in her legs. More good news coming soon for sure!

Silkworms are the best!!

Back when I _did_ feed crickets, I'd give them all the leftover greens that Isabel never ate. They ate the greens, she ate them.

And the super-easy non smelly way to keep crickets is in a 66 quart sterilite, with no lid (they can't climb plastic) and give them a cardboard egg carton to climb on, and greens and gut load and gel water cubes.

I've got large crickets in a large critter keeper woth a paper towel roll to hide in, and small plastic lids woth food and gel water. Small crickets are kept in a smaller keeper with the same food and water set up.

I hear some people get away from crickets all together by using other insects. It's hard for me to get my hands on roaches unless I make it to a reptile expo/show, should I be offering a wider variety?

Today was a huge victory! Ruth ate her first salad! I've noticed that she goes for anything white or yellow, so I cooked up some yellow squash (I read squash should be cooked, though a reason wasn't provided. I'm cooking it until I can prove one way or another what's safe) and sprinkled it over the greens. Cooking them made them slippery, so when she went to eat it, she got a mouthful of greens [emoji4] . Afterwards, she looked at me as though I committed a huge act of betrayal, but with no crickets in sight, she begrudgingly continued eating. When I came back later her salad was gone!

This is Ruthie with her evening salad. She doesn't seem as fond of carrots as she is squash, but she nibbled it a bit. She's getting more strength in her front legs and is even holding herself up! I'm so proud of her that I could burst! [emoji173]
2f1b39c352867f30ccac3aa6248bcca2.jpg

You are a wonderful Beardie-Momma. I don't know anything about them, but Ruthie looks stronger and more alert as your posts progress. You're making a miracle for her. Way to go!

Thanks DollysMom and DLena :) Ruth is making leaps and bounds in such a short time. I'm excited to find new foods and insects that she likes, so that I can add some variety to her diet and make it more well rounded. She's such a phenomenal little dragon! I have no idea why the previous owner that "rescued" her was willing to give her up, but I'm glad that she found her way into my life.

I love reading about such a successful rescue, when an animal finds the right caregiver. She's a cute little girl. You're doing a great job.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Another Ruthie update: she ate 2 salads today and took her first real steps! She chased a cricket across her 10 gallon feeding enclosure, and lifted herself completely up off the ground! Her recovery is miraculous!

Monday, I'll be calling around to local vets that are willing to see reptiles. I'd like to get an xray taken to see her bone density, look for deformities that aren't apparent, and check for previous or current fractures. I also want a fecal, and dermal scraping. She has a discolored spot on her leg and I want to be 100% sure that nothing else is going on. If they can run a blood test to check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies that would be great. I want to know absolutely everything so that I can modify her diet and routine accordingly, and treat any issues that I may not be presently aware of. Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health and more future progress!

Back