CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Dalek ate Fir bark! Pictures...

Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #21
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceduke View Post
He was told to go to the vet. He chose to ignore that advice and push a giant foreign body down his pet's gut. As a vet tech and a pet owner, I find that appalling.

Weren't you recently sending new members nasty PMs about how they chose to title their threads? Now you're telling me not to be mean to someone who probably just killed their snake by not following advice given. Huh.
A: So do I, but as a vet tech, would you really rather he freeze his snake than get it vet action because of a mistake? A really stupid, life threatening mistake, but still.
B: You mean recently like in November of last year? Yeah ok. I'm not going to get into whatever drama you want to start.

It's worth noting that according to his profile he's still online, rather than getting to a vet.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #22
Shiari
However, if he is NOT going to take his snake to a vet.... impactions are a bad way to die...

Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #23
ceduke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
A: So do I, but as a vet tech, would you really rather he freeze his snake than get it vet action because of a mistake?
I would rather see the snake euthanized than die of an impaction or a ruptured intestine. If he's going to take the snake and have the foreign body removed, great. If not, it is my opinion that euthanasia is more humane than death by impaction.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #24
wade
I think you guys are over reacting a bit. If the snake has swallowed the mouse, lets give it a few days to see if there is a problem before we run to the emergency room. It may very well pass on it's own.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #25
VickyChaiTea
And THAT is why you don't feed in the viv.

You had better hope it passes, if it doesn't then you HAVE to take the snake to a vet. I would take it anyway, just to be safe. You made a bad decision feeding her, please, if this happens again just take her to a vet right away or try to make her regurgitate it.

Personally, I don't feel sorry for you, it's widely known that feeding the viv can lead to this sort of thing. You made a mistake, and now you and your snake have to pay.

Please just take what you've learned from this experience and apply it in your future.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #26
medusacoils
I agree that the OP didn't make the best decision in this case, but c'mon. Do we really need to rub salt on this wound? Lets take it easy and try to help this poor soul out.

Thanks

Wayne

Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 AM   #27
ceduke
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post
I agree that the OP didn't make the best decision in this case, but c'mon. Do we really need to rub salt on this wound? Lets take it easy and try to help this poor soul out.
You're right. I apologize for overreacting. OP, I do still feel that your snake should see a vet. It's possible this thing may pass, or it may need to be removed. Either way, I'd rather get a professional opinion if it were my animal.

In the future, putting the food on a paper plate in the tank will prevent bedding from being eaten.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #28
Susielea
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post

Thanks

Wayne
Yay, someone with a bit of civility, that's definitely been lacking around here just lately!

If you people want to read back through the thread, there was advice given that said to try and line it up so that it might pass and that advice was given by someone who has been dealing with snakes a lot longer than any of us combined, I should imagine!

I think it may or may not pass, I had a corn come to me kept previously on similar bedding, who passed a huge (what I thought was huge for the snakes size) piece of substrate in it's first toilet, that corn is doing very well and I have not had a single problem with it.

To the original poster, I would suggest keeping a very close eye on it, if there is any reason that you feel concerned, (you know your snake better than any of us) then a vet visit will be a wise decision.

I wish you good luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #29
medusacoils
Another thing you can try is giving it baths, especially if you notice the snake beginning to poop. The water getting into the cloaca, may help move the object along. I'm going to think that you should see a bump appear right before the vent, right before she poops. You may also try a little Vaseline or KY jelly. Anything to lube up that opening. That's assuming it makes it that far.

If you have a reptile vet in the area, I would give them a ring in the morning and see what they suggest. They may have you bring her in, only if a problem arises. That, I wouldn't wait on. Make that call.

Wayne

Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #30
Amun
So what would a vet do in this case? I mean there is no way to pull it out. So do they operate?

And here I was going to post that the OP should get a long pair of tweezers, and some vaseline... I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it got in there. I mean it had to go in AFTER the mouse... crazy...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google