CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Are worms okay for my baby corn?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Strikealight
Right - so corn snakes never feed on mice in the wild until they are adults, and the OP's pet shop may be correct with their recommendation to feed baby corns with worms. I never knew these things before now.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #12
Karl_Mcknight
I saw a photo of somebody feeding their corn snake Balogna, and the snake ate it.

I would never do that myself, but the statement above that "Cornsnakes have evolved to eat pretty much nothing but mice......" is just ignorant.

Corn snakes have been known to eat Lizards, Climb trees to go after birds, Mice, Rats, baby rabbits, Moles, even other snakes, and just about anything they can catch and overpower and swallow.

Although feeding worms sounds bad to some, I seriously doubt it would harm the snake, and would be better than letting the snake starve.

But I personally would try first cutting pinkies in half if the snake was that small before trying to feed worms.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
Strikealight
I think anyone wondering why beginners can end up being so confused about how to care for their new cornsnakes need only read through this thread as an illustration.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Rich Z
I guess that sort of thing can happen expecting black and white answers in a full spectrum of color world.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
Twolunger
I was chatting with a gentleman who raised corn snakes for over 25 years regarding wild corn snake hatchlings. I told him I can't understand how a corn hatchling could survive in the wild, in my non-agricultural area, given their preference for rodents. He said many of the hatchlings who will eat only mice of the correct size die, starving to death. He said those hatchlings who can adapt to what prey items are available, including lizards and worms, will survive and go on to hunt for their preferred diet of rodents. Nature rewards those who can adapt.

Getting back to the OP, who unfortunately purchased a snake that should never have been sold at that age, all is not lost. I have hatched extremely tiny corns over the years and few could not eat day old pinkies. I have cut pinkies up, as suggested by others on this thread, with success. I would try feeding the cut pinkies first, preferably in a deli cup and see what happens. If the snake eats, great, problem solved. If the snake has developed a taste for worms the OP can use that to her advantage by rubbing a worm on a thawed pinkie or part of a pinkie, prepared as described elsewhere in this thread.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #16
Strikealight
I have made a polite request via a PM to RichZ for me to be deregistered today. The tone regularly taken by a few on this forum is not to my taste. This perfectly reasonable request was bluntly refused. I shall not log in again or make any further posts. I sincerely wish the very best to all of you and to this forum.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #17
Dragonling
And here I thought I, the Bernie-loving commie liberal, was the snowflake here.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
Twolunger
This thread is a good example of why a forum can be beneficial to our understanding of corn snakes. If you read the posts with an open mind you may learn something. If you close your mind and insist on pointing out your views only, you may never learn anything.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #19
crackerhead
"Nature rewards those who can adapt." Twolunger
That pretty much says it all.

Terri

Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
nancyg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
I saw a photo of somebody feeding their corn snake Balogna, and the snake ate it.

I would never do that myself, but the statement above that "Cornsnakes have evolved to eat pretty much nothing but mice......" is just ignorant.

Corn snakes have been known to eat Lizards, Climb trees to go after birds, Mice, Rats, baby rabbits, Moles, even other snakes, and just about anything they can catch and overpower and swallow.

Although feeding worms sounds bad to some, I seriously doubt it would harm the snake, and would be better than letting the snake starve.

But I personally would try first cutting pinkies in half if the snake was that small before trying to feed worms.
I have seen a video of a snake eating strips of beef heart. but it had been scented with a mouse (pink?) I"m sure if you 'fool' the snake with scenting, you could get it to eat a number of things it wouldn't normally identify as 'food'
Dragonling was experimenting with Repti-links, I know she was scenting the links - I have not been following the thread so I don't know if she's managed to get them eating unscented links.

I wonder if the guy actually had a corn snake and not something else like a Garter or Ribbon snake? Someone gave me a Garter, and he goes bonkers over an earthworm, though he usually just gets pinkies. Hes a regular garbage mouth.

Nancy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google