CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Temperature

Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
lukasvdam
Temperature

Hello everyone:-). I want to buy a corn snake. But i don't know what's better. A heat lamp or mat. And i want to know how to use it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SNE-LX1 met Tapatalk

Old 05-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
lukasvdam
[quote=lukasvdam;1740392]Hello everyone:-). I want to buy a corn snake. But i don't know what's better. A heat lamp or mat. And i want to know how to use it.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
lukasvdam
Hello everyone:-). I want to buy a corn snake. But i don't know what's better. A heat lamp or mat. And i want to know how to use it.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
chairman
Neither is better. They perform different tasks.

A heat lamp provides ambient heat; it will raise the temperature inside the cage above the temperature of the room.

A heat mat creates a warm spot that animals can lay on to bask; it does not usually change the temperature of the cage.

If the room the snake cage will be in will always be warmer than 22 C then you may just need a heat mat to provide a basking area for the snake.

If the room may get colder than 22C then you will need a heat lamp, ceramic heat emitter, or radiant heat panel to keep the cage warm. Some heat lamps will raise cage temperatures and create a basking spot; some will not. With a heat lamp you may still need a heat mat.

You will need to use a digital thermometer to measure the temperature on the warm side of the cage, the cool side of the cage, and an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of a basking spot directly below the lamp. The cold side of the enclosure should be no colder than 22C, the warm side no warmer than 29C, and the surface area of the basking spot should be around 32C.

All heat sources require thermostats. If you have a heat lamp and a heat mat then you either need two thermostats or a thermostat capable of controlling more than one heating device.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
DeuceRon
If you only have one to buy, get the mat and do what Chairman suggested with the thermometer. Snakes like a warm hide and a cool hide. The bulb will never ever get the ambient temperature inside of a hide correct. Also if you plan to place a heat bulb inside the tank, you're asking for a disaster. The snake will be drawn to the warmth and will be burned.
Please do as much research as possible before plunging into this. Keeping a snake is not difficult if you know what you're doing. If you don't, it will be a nightmare

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google