CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Over handling a corn snake?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
GracieGoodman
Over handling a corn snake?

Hi, my science teacher is letting me take care of her corn snake that she has in her classroom over the summer. I've held him multiple times after school and he's pretty chill. I don't want to over handle him over the summer though and stress him out because I don't know exactly how often she holds him. So my question is, is it possible to over handle a corn? or should I start out holding him a few times a week and gradually increase it over the summer?

Old 05-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
albertagirl
Lucky you!! My understanding is that you can overhandle, but how much is too much with vary from snake to snake. It probably depends on what this snake is used to, as well as on whether your idea of holding is quietly sitting and holding, or taking him out and handing him around to a bunch of people and introducing him to your dog/cat which would be way more stressful. Kind of an exaggerated example, but you get the idea. I would suggest starting with less and gradually increasing would be a safer bet.

If you're moving him to your home for the summer, you will also want to make sure you give him a few days to settle after the move before you start handling.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
DLena
First off, I want to say that I'm a teacher, and if your teacher is letting you take care of the snake for the summer, she must have a lot of confidence in both your ability and your maturity.
Second, this forum is a great place to meet people who will give you solid advice. Good job for finding us.
Taking responsibility for the snake is just like watching someone's dog...
Get a contact number for your teacher so you can call her if there are any mishaps or questions that come up later.
Ask her if she has a reptile vet, and if so, get that information as well.
Ask for its:
habitat specifics (how to maintain and regulate the heat source, setting it up if it's taken all apart to get it to your house (you could take a picture of it with your phone so you set it up just like the snake is used to!)
feeding specifics (schedule, size, how you feed it, if she's not providing a summer's worth of mice, where can you get them...);
cage-cleaning requirements (method and how often, substrate, if you aren't getting a summer's worth, what type and from where should you buy it);
handling specifics...and then, because it's a new situation for you and the snake, follow Albertagirl's advice and give it a few days to settle in, then handle it quietly and with few distractions or confusions. Snakes are not social animals; a bunch of new smells can be stressful all at one time.

Give it time to gain familiarity with you in the new environment, and you'll both have an excellent summer.

Again, cudos! And welcome to the forum.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #4
GracieGoodman
Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Nanci
It's okay to handle her for about an hour a day, every day, except for the three days of digestion. She'll let you know how well she tolerates it!

Old 05-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
smale492
I would say the same thing as the people above. I would maybe give it a grace period maybe every few days though. Let it chill and relax and not have to worry about being grabbed every day. Also remember give it 2-3 days after eating to digest

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google