CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Handling of Baby Cornsnake

Old 05-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
Carnelian
Red face Handling of Baby Cornsnake

Hello!
I have just joined this forum because I was gifted a baby cornsnake. I've always wanted one but I'm not exactly certain on how to handle them. What is the maximum amount of times I should take him out of his cage a week? And for how long? I don't want to scare him but I want to be able to form a bond with him while he's young. Any advice would be great!

Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
albertagirl
Hi! Welcome and congratulations! A new baby is very exciting, but it's best to give him a week or so to settle in and make sure he's eating well before you start handling. Once you're ready to start, a few minutes per day is good to start with. As long as he continues eating well you can slowly build up from there. You don't want to bother him the day after he eats, while he's digesting, but other than that 5-10 minutes per day is plenty for a little baby to build trust without overstressing. If you baby freaks out, try putting him back in his cage as soon as he calms down. If he's already very calm, he can probably handle a few minutes more. This has worked well for me for all my babies so far.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
axis1
Hi Neal!! (Just got done posting to Alexis on the other thread!)

Can't add much to what Albertagirl said since she kinda said it all!! Ha ha!

But never being at a loss for words, the point she made that I can elaborate on is just getting to know your little sneaky one, as they all have different personalities and temperaments. Two of my snakes, Chili-Pepper and Ozzy (who also happen to be dad and unsexed offspring) actually LOOK to come out and be handled a couple or three days after eating. When I'm in the room they sometimes come right up to the screen or glass (depending upon the housing they're in) and when I put my hand in they climb right on! But my female (Lilly) and one of my other males (Bozo) are much more reserved and Lilly can be downright nasty!! She rattles her tail sometimes at my approaching hands and most of the time, I leave her be but to prevent her from being totally belligerent I make sure she's handled at least once weekly. But most of the time she don't like it and she'll constantly try to get away. Bozo will eventually calm down but I can't say he likes it either. If they are just moving like they are exploring (corns aren't like ball pythons which will just curl up in your hands and sit there!) and NOT visibly trying to FLEE, then it's OK to hold onto them awhile. Babies (hatchlings) do seem to move much quicker than their adult counterparts though as they are constantly on the move. But as Albertagirl points out, if they seem like they're FREAKING, then you just put them back in their viv for awhile.

I don't think it's like rocket science but it's also a process that can't be "taught" as handling your sneaky ones is something I believe you just need to get a "feel" for!

In any case, welcome and enjoy your little one! Think of a name yet?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Corning
I hold mine every night around the same time for about an hour. Except for the day after I feed him. Can't tell if he likes me or not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Carnelian
Thank you all so much for your advice I look forward to handling him in the future. The snake's name is Neal (short for Carnelian).

I was wondering if the snake would mind if I woke him up while he's resting during the day, or if its better to handle him during the evening.
I can't wait to attempt to feed him for the first time tomorrow!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
axis1
Oops! Sorry, I thought Neal was YOUR name and not your sneaky one! My bad!

In any event, you'll get to know when it's a good time to handle Neal, but since he is a little one, maybe you should begin at night when snakes are naturally active and awake. Just a suggestion. Because as long as his meal is digested and he's not blue, I'm sure it would be fine in the day also. I'm just thinking of his young age and the fact that he is in a new environment and a hatchling to boot. Probably better minimizing the need for him to adjust to one more thing, no?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Carnelian
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
Oops! Sorry, I thought Neal was YOUR name and not your sneaky one! My bad!

In any event, you'll get to know when it's a good time to handle Neal, but since he is a little one, maybe you should begin at night when snakes are naturally active and awake. Just a suggestion. Because as long as his meal is digested and he's not blue, I'm sure it would be fine in the day also. I'm just thinking of his young age and the fact that he is in a new environment and a hatchling to boot. Probably better minimizing the need for him to adjust to one more thing, no?
Thanks for your input! I'll be taking your advice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google