CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

How can you tell the difference between a snow and an avalanche?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
hypnoctopus
How can you tell the difference between a snow and an avalanche?

I know that the genetics are different, but as babies, they look the same to me. Is there some way to visually tell them apart when they first hatch? I can tell the adults of the two morphs apart visually, but not the babies.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Shiari
Snows have a belly pattern, avalanche do not.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Snows have a belly pattern, avalanche do not.
Oh duh! I don't know why I didn't think of that! Obviously the diffused wipes out the belly checkers. :P Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
BloodyBaroness
The best way to tell is by belly checks. All snows generally have some type of defined belly check.

Snow belly:

You can see the faint clear to white checkers.

Avalanche have no belly checks. The belly is a uniform white.

Avalanche belly:

Plain belly with zero color variance.

The thing that will throw it is motley.... a snow motley will have the same stark white belly. When motley seems to be present, I gauge it by the amount of yellow. Generally an avalanche will have little to no yellow, where a snow might have a tinge or a lot.

Avalanche face:

No yellow to be seen.

It all comes down to knowing and trusting the breeder.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Kate
Gosh, we have a darling snow, but the Avalanches are so stark white, absolutely gorgeous!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
Nanci
I'm going to disagree with Autumn on one point. Avalanches can have a _lot_ of yellow. If you search for pictures of Pepper or Hunter, you can see this. Or Jackyl or White Mamba, for plain avalanches, not stripes.

The opal blood will not have any yellow, in my experience. A blizzard will typically have less than a snow or avalanche, but they can surprise you and develop lots of yellow, too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google