• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Black pigmentation query for lava-based corns.

Mitchell Mulks

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if any of you have noticed the linear change in black pigmentation in ice corns; from a cranial to caudal direction. In all of my lava-based morphs the cranial-third of each snake has almost normal black pigmentation (albeit quantifiably reduced from normal). However, as you move caudally along the length of each snake the black pigment slowly transitions into the lavender-purple many of us love about lava-based morphs. In particular, this linear change in pigmentation is highly noticeable in ice corns. All of my ice corns appear much darker in the first third of the body, all the while becoming noticeably lighter towards the tail tip. This transition in black pigmentation occurs in all of my lava morphs too, just not as noticeably as it does in my ice corns.

Have any of you noticed this as well? Furthermore, can anyone offer up a developmental or physiological reasoning for why this occurs? I don't see the same type of pigment change in any of the other hypo morphs, so why it happens in just lava corns is really interesting to me. Thanks!

Mitch

Kastanies are also much more colourful in the first third, it seem's as if colouration has its most manifestation in first third. I've seen that in many other morphs too. might be a physiological cause?! I'd estimate your notice and my notices have the same origin?!

just a hypothesis. :shrugs:

While we are at it let's throw in the manifestation of xanthic coloration development starting at the head and necks of Anery morphs. I don't think the descending pigment distribution is limited to these morphs. I just believe it is easiest to see the results of the migration in them.
Kistanies are an excellent example of this phenomenon. And their coloring has always intrigued me. Especially for those of us who have hatched any. I stand by my statement that they may very well be the homeliest hatchlings out there. lol Very hard to sell, without a parent nearby, to convince people how lovely the morph is.
Mitch, what have you observed with regard to embryological pigment development? Is it head down? I see this happening in the Extreme ROs and Sunrise Morphs that are born essentially without color. I know how the pattern works but given the late stage development of color in corns (in egg) I've never taken the time/sacrifice to look into it. That might be an interesting project for next season.

Terri

Now I'll have to go home and really look at my lava morphs to see if I see the same thing. I do know that my female Ice has much darker/contrasty black than either male Ice, my diffuse Ice or my female lava, but whether the colors fade a bit down their length, I can't say right now.

OK, just looked at photos of each of them and yes, it does look as if the black , what little there is, around the saddles does seem to lighten just a bit as you go from the head towards the tail. Weird.

Last edited:
Back