CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

My new cornsnake!!! Possibly okeetee?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Optreptiles
Talking My new cornsnake!!! Possibly okeetee?

Hello all, today I adopted a new female cornsnake from a reptile rescue I work at. She is definitely captive bred, although I don't know who the original breeder was. The first thing I noticed about her were the exceptionally thick black bands around her back saddles (the main reason I wanted her!). I know that she probably isn't ACTUAL okeetee local, but could she be derived from okeetee stock? Nonetheless, she is a beautiful normal corn. I plan on starting some kind if selective breeding project with her! I'll have to upload the pictures in a second post, as it won't let me on my phone.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Optreptiles
Here are the pictures, input is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
epicdoom
I'm not great with Morphs and such but sure looks Okeetee or at least from Okeetee My male is for sure Okeetee and looks just like it.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
starsevol
Well, it all depends on what your definition of "okeetee" is.
Some people only consider wild caught from a particular locality as okeetee, even if they are rather ordinary looking animals.
Others consider okeetees to be pretty much exactly what you have right there (and a pretty nice one at that!!)
Others still will call the wild caught ones okeetees, and ones like yours "lookatees".
Either way, heck of a find!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
beautifullywild77
It is what some would call an Okeetee phase corn snake. The wide borders are a dead give away. They are just line bred I believe
But Beth is right.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Weda737
One of my personal faves, I think they are prettier than some of the more "high end" morphs out there. I just call it Okeetee phase.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
screamindemon17
So then a reverse okeetee is a albino common with thick white boarders. Its hard to figure whats what when so many people making names. Cause i thought her snake was a okeetee but there seems to be so many factors other than looks. Is there a web site that helps explain better. That might help in identifying for us corn snake morph. Rookies

Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Rich Z
I guess everyone's opinion will differ on the term "Okeetee", but my rule of thumb used to be that not only should the animal look like an "Okeetee" (and even that could be hotly debated, as corns from that area are widely variable in appearances), but there should also be a direct link with at least one ancestor that is known to be of actual "Okeetee" blood line.

So that would rule out any animal with an unknown ancestral history.

Of course, that was back then, and this is now. My belief is that most people today apply the label based strictly upon appearance, and the actual geographical source doesn't matter at all to them.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Optreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamindemon17 View Post
So then a reverse okeetee is a albino common with thick white boarders. Its hard to figure whats what when so many people making names. Cause i thought her snake was a okeetee but there seems to be so many factors other than looks. Is there a web site that helps explain better. That might help in identifying for us corn snake morph. Rookies
There is a good website called cornsnakemorphgallery.com that explains almost all of the morphs, with photograph examples of most of the morphs. You could also try iansvivarium, or Kathy Love's book.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
crotalis40741
I have a pair that are first generation in captivity from hunt club caught parents. Still slightly bitey but beautiful. This is the female the pic was taken by Chris68 for I lost most of my pics on my hard drive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google