CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

my 3 Hognose's

Old 07-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #11
aleks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Happened to notice, pic 2 looks like a female, and it's labeled male. I'm not 100% but it sure looks male in the photo...

Hum i see 0.1 on that picture. So dont know where u see a male in the label? And i do confurm, its a female

Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
fyrefocks
Quote:
I was going to ask the same. These are the one species of snake that never defensively bites.
I don't know about defensively, but I went to pick up my albino male last night and our encounter began with him trying to bite my finger. You might want to ease up on the use of the words never and bites in the same sentence.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks View Post
Hum i see 0.1 on that picture. So dont know where u see a male in the label? And i do confurm, its a female
No wonder I couldn't see the difference!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #14
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks View Post
He doesn't see a mistake in the label. When looking at the snake itself, he sees a longer, more male looking tail. I do as well. But you have the snake so I guess you'd know better than us.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefocks View Post
I don't know about defensively, but I went to pick up my albino male last night and our encounter began with him trying to bite my finger. You might want to ease up on the use of the words never and bites in the same sentence.
I hope no one missed the word "defensively," because that would be a shame. And the "mean" female biting was almost certainly feeding response. As mad as they can get, they simply do not open mouth strike. At least, I've never seen evidence of it, and I have have clocked a lot of hands on hognose hours over the years.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
Chip
Quote:
Happened to notice, pic 2 looks like a female, and it's labeled male. I'm not 100% but it sure looks male in the photo...
My dyslexia got the best of me. It looks male, but is labeled female, my apologies.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
Chromatic Corns
I know they're not suppose to, but she is mean. I'll see if I can remember to get a video next time I go over there. I do think that selective breeding can bring out what we want in our animals but can also bring out what we don't want. It's logical that we could breed ill temperament into snakes and different aggressive responses while playing with our color morphs. The male we had a sweetie, female puffs and hisses and strikes.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Chip
Most all hogs hiss puff and strike, that's what they do! They don't however, strike with an open mouth, even at food. When they eat, they open their mouths and "push" or push their snouts against their prey and then open.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Chip
I just took a video trying to get some hogs to strike me. If it turns out good, I'll upload it. I've been wanting to video feeding, so I can do those side by side when I feed them next (scheduled for Tuesday).

Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
fyrefocks
Quote:
Most all hogs hiss puff and strike, that's what they do! They don't however, strike with an open mouth, even at food. When they eat, they open their mouths and "push" or push their snouts against their prey and then open.
Again, that same albino hogs leads with his mouth open. He's usually gaping before the mouse is even in the tongs. And boy does he strike.

I probably don't have the hog hours you have, but after almost 10 years of keeping and 5 of breeding, I have seen some hognose stuff.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google