CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Nanci's SnickerSnakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Nanci's SnickerSnakes Welcome to SnickerSnakes- where the pretty snakes are! I love striped cornsnakes in red, white, purple, peach and pink. Foundation stock, breeding plans, and hopefully hatchling news!

List of Feeding Tricks for Non-Feeders

Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorlor54 View Post
What do you do exactly? Wash the pinkie? Then heat it up? I am so confused at most of these tricks.. I need detailed instructions, lol!
I thaw the pink in very hot water with a big squirt of dish soap. Then rinse _a little_ in hot water- but still leave some soap residue/scent.

With any of the other scents- tuna, chicken, etc., I feed it with lots of the scent right on it.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
Nanci
The feeding before last, I didn't have Ivory, so I offered Dawn-washed pinks to six non-feeders. 5 took the scented mice, and all six of those ate last night without scenting (in a deli, covered, pink slit). The one non-feeder, who had now refused three times, including boiled and Dawn-scented and chicken-scented, also would not tease feed, so I left him with his pink overnight in his shoebox-sized bin (not in a deli). He ate. Just because something hasn't ever worked for you, or only very rarely works, doesn't mean don't try!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
crzymom2grl2by
Would clam juice work? I have a bottle of that that I sometimes pour on my cat's food.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
Nanci
Anything is worth a try.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #15
Nanci
I have a baby peppermint stripe. I was in too much of a hurry to see if there were any females, and popped these babies right when they hatched. BIG MISTAKE! I ended up with half the clutch not feeding. One by one, they started. Some fast, some slow. This baby tease-fed right away, but never, ever ate by herself, without any tricks. Until last night. More than five months after hatching, after feeding her first, tucking her under a pillow, going on to feed about 40 other babies, forgetting about her, getting ready to sit down and eat dinner, it's been a super-long day, I've weighed out 300 new pinks and fuzzies to separate them into sizes- the last thing I want to do is tease feed this baby who is getting more and more reluctant to strike. I reach under the pillow reluctantly, pull her out, and THERE IS NO PINKY!!! Never forget to try a different mouse source!!!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
crzymom2grl2by
I was confused by what you did with the pillow. So please, I'm a little slow, lol. Explain. Did you have the snake in a container under the pillow? And if not, how did you keep the snake from escaping from under the pillow? What did you use to feed her? Boiled pinkie?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
Nanci
The snake is in a deli cup, with the lid on. Since I feed them on my bed, it's easy to just slide the deli cup in between a couple of my 12 pillows to cover them up, so they aren't distracted by me walking around 54 more times with all the other babies :-) So if I have a few shy feeders, I end up with deli cups layered in between all the pillows. I've never forgotten one so long that I've gone to bed with them there.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
crzymom2grl2by
The pet shop still has no day old pinkies. If they don't tomorrow I may try this method. I have a cool whip container I'm going to try. I had a smaller Rubbermaid but it took on the scent of the tuna juice.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #20
MysticExotics
This is an old thread, but there are a lot of new members, and there's good information in her on getting hatchlings to eat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google