CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

The Great Reptilinks Experiment!

Old 02-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
Kevin S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauBoi View Post
Mice are cheaper, and are a whole food source that the snake has evolved to eat (as opposed to rabbit or deer).
Pantherophis eat rabbits.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #12
BeauBoi
Sure, adult snakes sometimes eat small sized rabbits. Now, please post a picture of a hatchling eating a rabbit, since reptilinks make "pinkie-sized links for hatchlings.
~Beau

Old 02-08-2016, 11:51 PM   #13
BeauBoi
While you are at it, please post a corn snake of ANY size eating a deer in the wild.
~Beau

Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #14
Dragonling
I mean...rabbit pinkies are pretty small too...

Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #15
DuxorW
The calories in the chicken and rabbit links can be inferred from the rest of the chart. The venison links and the 50:50 venison chicken blend can be compared to calculate the caloric contribution of chicken. Divide the calories in venison link (2347) by 2, subtract that from the calories in the venison chicken blend (1929), and you get the calories contributed by chicken (about 755). Add this to half the calories from a rabbit link (1624/2). The result is that a chicken and rabbit link is estimated at 1562 calories per kilogram, slightly lower than the rabbit links. With ten snakes in each group, I did not get a promising preliminary result, with the mouse-feeders coming out barely ahead, although this is probably statistically insignificant. And given the alleged calorie count, I would have expected the link-fed mice to just barely come out ahead. Thus it is not really worth it to me personally to order more links, as any benefit that may or may not be there is likely to be very modest. However, assuming the snakes would eat the venison links, I would expect a faster growth rate. But I'm not interested in trying at this time.

I do plan on using the rest of my links, which is enough for two more rounds of feeding in the reptilink group.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #16
Haarstad
Beau, you are referring to something that only has to do with the size of the prey vs the nutritional value of the meal.

I believe that if you were to have two separate groups, from birth, feeding on these two different regiments, the group with the links would end up growing at a faster rate or at least seem to digest more completely (and faster) than the group feeding on F/T.

Once your corns were large enough to take the links with venison or 50/50 venison/rabbit, I would switch to them. The increase of calories with the venison seems like a better recipe. The plus side to the chicken/rabbit, is the chicken has guts ground with it...

When it comes to snakes, I doubt they care what meat they have... They just eat what size they find. If corns like anoles more, then feed them anoles.. You don't because of cost/nutrition.

Please keep this thread going!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #17
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarstad View Post
Beau, you are referring to something that only has to do with the size of the prey vs the nutritional value of the meal.

I believe that if you were to have two separate groups, from birth, feeding on these two different regiments, the group with the links would end up growing at a faster rate or at least seem to digest more completely (and faster) than the group feeding on F/T.

Once your corns were large enough to take the links with venison or 50/50 venison/rabbit, I would switch to them. The increase of calories with the venison seems like a better recipe. The plus side to the chicken/rabbit, is the chicken has guts ground with it...

When it comes to snakes, I doubt they care what meat they have... They just eat what size they find. If corns like anoles more, then feed them anoles.. You don't because of cost/nutrition.

Please keep this thread going!
If you wish to experiement with your snakes health, then by all means, do so. I will stick with what is proven.
I came here to Thank the person doing the experiment, BEFORE I learned that he was ending the experiment.
Furthermore, he is ending the experiment because he says that his snakes seem to be doing BETTER on Mice.
If you want to be Reptilinks Cheer-Leader, that is your business, however at this point (IMO) you seem way too biased for me to trust your "advice". Do you have interest in the company or something?
Why EXACTLY are you so set on people changing to the links? They aren't cheaper. No study I have seen (except for ones done by Reptilinks themselves, which aren't peer reviewed) show them to be a superior source of nutrient. So please share with us all why exactly you are the "Local Reptilinks Rep"?
~Beau

Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
Haarstad
Some people, don't believe in changing an animals diet away from whole prey items when they are built to handle it. Such as you...

If you do some searching, there is nothing added or processed about the ingredients in the Repti-links themselves.. The fact that they are ground up is just another benefit that some closed minded people can't see past. The point is to give these animals a better food source that they would never be able to eat because of the size.. Add the benefit of faster digestion and changing the prey item to suit your needs, I just don't see a downside...

Nutrition is statistics and statistics show that there are better meals for certain animals that they wouldn't normally be able to have. It doesn't mean that without these, your reptile is suffering... There are so many reasons why these COULD benefit and there is really no down side..

You can read for days about people badmouthing them but in they end, everything bad is just biased opinion..

I would just like to see an actual report of this and i liked what the PO was doing.. If you want to look for something bad about them that isn't opinion, just read...

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...-reptiles.html

I am going to try them when they ship next month and hopefully my girls eat them, I'm just on the bandwagon cause there is no downside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarstad View Post
Some people, don't believe in changing an animals diet away from whole prey items when they are built to handle it. Such as you...

If you do some searching, there is nothing added or processed about the ingredients in the Repti-links themselves.. The fact that they are ground up is just another benefit that some closed minded people can't see past. The point is to give these animals a better food source that they would never be able to eat because of the size.. Add the benefit of faster digestion and changing the prey item to suit your needs, I just don't see a downside...

Nutrition is statistics and statistics show that there are better meals for certain animals that they wouldn't normally be able to have. It doesn't mean that without these, your reptile is suffering... There are so many reasons why these COULD benefit and there is really no down side..

You can read for days about people badmouthing them but in they end, everything bad is just biased opinion..

I would just like to see an actual report of this and i liked what the PO was doing.. If you want to look for something bad about them that isn't opinion, just read...

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...-reptiles.html

I am going to try them when they ship next month and hopefully my girls eat them, I'm just on the bandwagon cause there is no downside...

I NEVER said ANYTHING bad about them! And I LIKED what the OP was doing too! I THANKED him for doing it!
The ONLY said I didn't see a point in using them myself!
Since them YOU went on the offensive! I honestly don't know what your damage is, but I never attacked you, OR reptilinks, OR said that they were in any bad!
What is your damage!?!?
~Beau

Old 02-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #20
Haarstad
I'm sorry beau, I must've misunderstood your tone when you called me a repti-link cheerleader or stated that I can experiment with my snakes health because of a food item being ground up... My bad

I was just stating the facts that ground up meat has no disadvantage to something whole... And this started cause you were asking if we had pics of Corns eating deer... And I was simply getting at "don't be dumb"... I was nice about it till you felt caps were necessary.. Plenty of snakes eat deer though if that's what you want to hear... Google is king

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google