• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad/Incomplete Shed: What To Do

Lila was bred by Supernova Reptiles, and came to me through Waldo on this site. Thank you!

Next, take your beautiful snake out for a photoshoot in her new skin!

Thanks for looking- hopefully this will help someone down the line!

Nanci

WOW!! Just the advice I needed!! THANKS!!!!!

PS. BEAUTIFUL snake!! LOVE THE COLOR!

I believe it was you that commented on my post about first time feeding and an incomplete shed.
I got my snake about a week ago, and his scales aren't as bad as the ones in the pics, but they are kinda flakey. Thanks for the advice, and your "photo shoot" pics are so cute. :D I'm going to give my little guy some time to digest then give this a try.
Thanks again.

Maloof............. it does work on tip of tail..... i have just done it with my Amel, I put her in feed box with water (70*) left her twenty minutes and voila there it was on the towel ( she also left me something else..........a poop lol)

NANCI.......thank you for such a great post and explanation with pics too , I would have known how to remove it otherwise

thanx again

Kev

LOL! Nanci forgot to mention the effect warm water has on a snake's bowels...

Nanci, could you make this thread a sticky with your new found powers? :)
I often go to link to it and can't find it quick enough.

Hmmm- I'll have to investigate how to do that! When I wrote the thread I tried to make it a title I would remember because I knew I'd be referring people to it a lot!

You can't do anything to speed the shed along, anyway. The whole process can take up to two weeks for a cornsnake, but two weeks is longer than usual. I'd estimate about 7-12 days for the entire process, depending on how good you are at detecting the very first signs.

Is going to agree with Nanci, mine usualy take 7-12 days like Nanci sed "if you know the signs " :)

Pepper...... I knew the effects, just didnt think ske would poop, she pretty shy snake :):)

i also think this should be "Stickied" :)

I mad a mistake and didn't notice that the very tip of keikos skin didn't come off during her shed....when I noticed it was too late and the very tip of her tail was black I put her in a container wit the washclothe hoping it would do something and it did...the tip fell off..I feel like such a bad person for not noticing that before...but she's fine now so I guess it doesn't bother her...that was about 2 weeks ago

Silly, but still serious question. When I go to wash the towel and plastic container that were used for this, is there any harm in putting the container in the dish washer with the rest of the dishes (as long as its dishwasher safe itself), and washing the washcloth with my bedding and/or clothes?

It's my first time i see this thread. Thank u very much and really Lila is so happy she has a Momma like you! :D

I would only worry about spreading reptile germs around if you had an immunocompromised family member. And I'd wash everything in hot water.

Nope, no one in the household that has any sort of immunodeficiency, that I know of. I just had to ask since I got a weird look when I threw in the washcloth that my little guy slithered around on to help get the last few inches of his tail shed off in the wash with the rest of my clothes, and was given the "not in my dishwasher" with the plastic container. Thanks for the reply.

This really helped. Sprinkle gave me my first snake skin yesterday, but she missed under her chin to about 3 inches down her belly. This really did the trick! (Although silly Sprinkle pooped in the water, so I had to change tubs halfway through!! lol) Her face and eyescaps came off fine, and the other 3/4ths of her body came off in 1 big peice including tail tip. I wonder why she had trouble with that small peice.

I think that sometimes the skin can tear as it comes off and this makes it more difficult for it to come off in one piece, even if conditions are perfect.

Another lesson I've learned since writing this is to check and triple check for retained spectacles (eye caps). It is a TREMENDOUS lot of trouble to deal with a retained spectacle if you don't catch it immediately. If you can't clearly see both spectacles in the shed, make a very careful examination of the snake's eyes.

What do the eye caps look like? my snake had blue eyes for 2 days, now her eyes are clear but she hasn't shed yet. does this mean she has already shed her eye caps?

Back