CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

really anoying snake

Old 10-25-2003, 10:38 PM   #1
<<S>>
really anoying snake

My snake(Renegade) is a weird little snake...First he's tame and always willing to "jump" on my hand. But since he bit me once he has totally changed.....every time I enter the viv he sets himself up in striking position...never really strikes(unless I move too fast).. But I don't know what to do...I used the T-shirt trick,but it only had a small effect...

Anyway, what I mean is; should I be worried..can I do something against it??

Does some one have a clue what I should do??

Old 10-26-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
revxus
Maybe you oughtta try handling it for at least 5 minutes daily?That's what i tried with my baby corn, and now she's used to me.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:04 PM   #3
Chip
I don't buy the T-shirt trick at all

If it's a yearling or younger, just handle it bare-handed. It won't hurt if you can get over the idea of it striking and biting. It's really the only way to get them to calm down. If you have an experienced herper around, let him (or her) work with it until calm. Then you can take it and get comfortable with it. I used to turn my head and grab my biters! It didn't bother me if I didn't see it coming. Just feels like scotch tape or something.
But I feel your pain. I have some BIG wild-caught snakes I always dread grabbing! Even they don't really hurt, it's just a matter of learning the mindset. I have herping buddies way more brave than me, and a near 6 ft. w/c ornery corn doesn't make them flinch! But I paint houses and almost always have cuts and scrapes on my hands that smart when snakes latch on to them!

Old 10-27-2003, 05:35 AM   #4
rachel132002
Try putting your hand in the viv making a fist that way they seem to realise it's bigger than anything they could get unlike your fingers and then lay it flat next to him so he can sense you there then pick him up from underneath slowly so nothing takes him by surpirse. Just my 2 cents.

Rachel

Old 10-27-2003, 07:27 AM   #5
Rachel
I am in the EXACT same position as you! My mum gave me her snake to tame him down a bit (he was very flighty and my mum didn't want to hurt him). So after about 3 weeks he was fine and ready to go back to my mum's house. We went on holiday and when I came back he had reverted to his old self x10 the nastiness!

He bit me several times (a proper chomp too) and since then reacts the same way as yours when I try to get him out. It is because I am slightly wary of him now and he can sense that (my fiancee can pick him up no probs). Maybe that's why your snake is reacting like that? I tried the fist trick but he bit my knuckles instead

He is slowly getting 'better' though. I have simply persevered with handling. I take him out (I use the look away trick too!!) and handle him until he calms down then let him back into his viv. I do this every day (apart from after eating) and do it about 2-3 times depending on how calm he is. I also just stick my hand in the viv sometimes and let him smell me and come to me rather than grabbing him every time.

Good luck with him, I know how frustrating it can be!

Old 10-27-2003, 07:33 AM   #6
Alex Dew
I use he "fist trick" which Rachel said when ever any of my snakes get nippy.

Goodluck

Alex

Old 10-27-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
revxus
The other method I use is lightly tap the viv glass, not with your nail, but with only your fingertip so it is just a soft sound. Your corn should react to the vibration, start to slither its tongue and approach the moving object, slowly move up on the glass until the snake starts to follow your finger - soon he/she will smell you, and know who you are, and should be calm enough to handle him/her. It always works for me!

Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:22 PM   #8
h0mersimps0n
I role-play Steve Erwin and start talking Australian to the little aggressor- "boy what a bloody beaut., his bit could kill a fleet of elephants" and see who has better reflexes him or I...

Then I pounce on the little aggressive hatchling, scold him/her and we hug and make up...

Old 10-28-2003, 02:26 AM   #9
Rachel
Lol@homer!!

Revxus: If I put my hand anywhere near the viv, he strikes at it! Saying that, we had a more productive handling last night. He bit me once, but that was my fault. He calmed down quite quickly, once he was calm I put him back and then had to take him out again a few hours later for feeding. When I took him out this time he was fine, maybe he was behaving cos he knew it was dinner time!!

Old 10-28-2003, 03:50 AM   #10
rachel132002
I wanna evil snake all mine jus look like o0o0o0o play with meee

Rach

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google