• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My corn snake Ruby kills Adult male mouse.

your love of the kill doesn't stop with fire ants or hunting for food, but mice, lizards, and bugs

I just like to hunt. I used to shoot wasp and lizards with a BB gun in my backyard. I have now moved up to shooting water turtles with a .22. It helps me with my aim, so I don't wound deer. Nothing is wrong with that...at all.

Let me just say again, I do not ENJOY killing them. I don't just go around killing everything I see. I actually volunteer at an animal orphanage in the summer...its the fact that killing things does not phase me.

As the great brad paisly once said, "when you see a deer you see Bambi...I see antlers up on the wall." :D

Post i did on another thread.. and a few more.

The wounds were about 5 years old and I assume that this snake was a yearling or so.
But the scar tissue was horrific in person on this animal.

Here was a humane society rescue.
This snake was fed live.

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

Nice pictures, but I would NEVER feed live mice/rats because of the danger. I feed live baby anoles, and I am very safe about it. Thanks for the cool picture though :) Very sad, hope he is okay.

This thread has just been so disturbing... I kill because I feel like it - I could do other things, but I don't...

As Danielle said, I don't believe you are a sociopath but man, you sure make it sound like you're one...

Ultimately, I make an effort to minimize the suffering any creature around me feels. Not because of religion or karma (I'm an atheist), but because I'm an animal too, and I hope someone would show me the same respect.

Oh and, please, this is not a north vs. south thing, or a hunting vs. no hunting thing... My FAR northern grandfather takes a deer every year and I have no problem with that at all; I think it's great. And I like venison sausage. A lot. ;)

Over and out.

What will you feed when your snakes grow up and need larger prey? I asked this is earlier and no one has answered. It's something to think about because some are harder to change to different food items or those that are f/t. Literal food for thought:)

What will you feed when your snakes grow up and need larger prey? I asked this is earlier and no one has answered. It's something to think about because some are harder to change to different food items or those that are f/t. Literal food for thought

Actually, I have already said I do not feed live mice. I feed f/t without a problem. And have fed a total of 3 live anoles...ever.

Nice pictures, but I would NEVER feed live mice/rats because of the danger. I feed live baby anoles, and I am very safe about it. Thanks for the cool picture though :) Very sad, hope he is okay.

Problems with Anoles is that you will need to feed more often than you do frozen thawed mice. Instead of once a week, its multiple times a week.

Okay, Robbie. I noticed a contridicting statement in your post.

You said first

Then

So...which is it?

I killed an animal that was a nuisance, and was directly bothering me. I didn't seek it out to pour salt on it, or rip off it's wings, or burn it with a magnifying glass. VERY big difference there, darling! (Sorry it took me so long to respond, I'm working right now)

killed an animal that was a nuisance, and was directly bothering me. I didn't seek it out to pour salt on it, or rip off it's wings, or burn it with a magnifying glass. VERY big difference there, darling! (Sorry it took me so long to respond, I'm working right now)

Okay, well thats what you choose to kill :) Not me. Doesn't bother me to salt a slug, but as I said, I was five. Never said anything about ripping off wings.

Confession

I'm not defending. I'm not attacking. But here are some things i've done. I'm not proud of all of them.

-I've salted slugs. (I spent a considerable part of my youth in the Pacific NW-- Almost every kid salts a slug or two. They're garden pests.)

-I've fed thousands of live mice to snakes a hundred years ago. I even enjoyed watching, early on (I developed a dislike for rodents after seeing numerous examples of cannibalism and infanticide).

-I used to buy bulk live mice and DROWN them. I was young, my conscience wasn't well developed, and I was a jerk. I stopped, eventually.

-My high-school friend and I used to draw songbirds into his driveway with an Audobon whistle. Then we'd shoot bb guns at them. We mostly missed, but after I shot a mourning dove through the chest (not exactly a game bird), I stopped that business.

I've cervically dislocated rodents, thrown mice into pillowcases and whacked them against walls, I've fed live fish to garters, I've fed deformed corn hatchlings to kingsnakes...

I'm not proud of these things; but I'm not a monster. Most of these things I wouldn't think of doing today. Some, I might. Non-vegetarians who keep carnivorous pets can't afford to be too judgemental.

I still do the rodent in the pillowcase. (Wade taught me this trick) and while I don't enjoy it, it's exceedingly quicker than any CO2 method. It's 3.5 seconds from cage to wall...they haven't a clue. Many people in the fish hobby use live feeders. A friend's sister got one at a wedding recently...how cruel and inhumane is that? While said person is going above and beyond to keep this lowly feeder fish alive, for the most part it would be more humane to toss it to the ground and stomp on it quickly.

And so goes the food chain....

-My high-school friend and I used to draw songbirds into his driveway with an Audobon whistle. Then we'd shoot bb guns at them. We mostly missed, but after I shot a mourning dove through the chest (not exactly a game bird), I stopped that business.

I have done this so many times. Not with the whistle, but I used to shoot Chi-Chi birds from under the feeder.

Of course I have killed things...Who cares though?

Feeder fish...are just feeder fish. They don't have "feelings."

We stick a hook through them and stick them in the water, hoping they will stay alive for a long time. Only to be eaten by another fish.

Although I don't neccesarily ENJOY sticking the feeder fish with a hook, I don't think twice about it. Ever

Listen to Starsevol. She's a VERY wise woman, and will teach you well!

Just don't forget to fear her wrath!

I do fear her wrath!

Anyway this thread is very distubing. Emily I hunt but for food. My dad and I both love deer meat. We shoot only the deer that we need. Sure I love a good slice of tenderloin. But I don't go out with my .44 semi auto rifle and say. "Look a deer. Lets shoot it in the leg then we can stab it in the jugular and watch it bleed!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I always take a clean shot. If I miss my dad usually takes it out with his side arm. I still could'nt take a pistol to an animals head and fire. Not yet I have only been put in this situation once.

As for live feeding....why. Seriously why the hell would you feed live when f/t could be easily used. I have 13 adult and juvi snakes I am not selling they all get f/t. I go to a local show and buy up a bunch of mice. Or I do a rodent pro order. I think that Emily sounds a bit messed up it the head. I have had snakes that don't feed and live is the option before force feeding. I refuse to risk my snakes life when there are about 100 other methods using f/t. I have found tease feeding as effective as live could be.

I have done this so many times. Not with the whistle, but I used to shoot Chi-Chi birds from under the feeder.

Of course I have killed things...Who cares though?

I actually DO care... now. I wasn't going to eat the bird-- it was just target practice (practice I DIDN'T need, because I don't hunt). Seeds and blood oozed out of its chest as it died. I felt terrible. I never did it again.

I actually DO care... now. I wasn't going to eat the bird-- it was just target practice (practice I DIDN'T need, because I don't hunt). Seeds and blood oozed out of its chest as it died. I felt terrible. I never did it again.
I would care about that as well...I would never teach my kids to hunt and kill just for the sake of hunting and killing I hate birds with a passion of a thousand burning suns, but I wouldn't enjoy killing them. Killing my mice is not something I enjoy, but since I keep snakes and snakes eat mice, I guess I can justify it. Or maybe not.

Killing because something is preying on a garden is, in my mind, worlds away from killing just for the "fun" of it. Killing for a reason =/= killing for fun. Shooting something to eat it =/= shooting an animal for fun. I DO feel bad about killing them just for being what they are, and I did NOT enjoy it, even if they are "just" slugs.

I was once a really lousy pet owner. I got WAY too many animals, and was so overwhelmed that they all wound up neglected. Some of them died because of this. Looking back, I regret it enormously, but I can't change it now so I do my best for the lives I am responsible for now.

Feeder fish...are just feeder fish. They don't have "feelings."

We stick a hook through them and stick them in the water, hoping they will stay alive for a long time. Only to be eaten by another fish.

Although I don't neccesarily ENJOY sticking the feeder fish with a hook, I don't think twice about it. Ever

I don't know if they have feelings. I ice-fish, and I've jammed hooks beneath the spines of a thousand live minnows. I mostly practice catch and release, regardless of what kind of fishing I'm up to. So I'm killing for entertainment no matter how much I'd like to think otherwise. That part is never a thrill.

this one guy in our town...He raises dogs and kills them, skins them out, puts him in the freezer and eats them. Does the same with house cats.

Me after reading this~~~>
185337z4n45twagj.gif

I know people who who eat guinea pigs.. ?? Of course they are NOT FROM OUR COUNTRY and I'm sure they would be fined for cruelty to animals.. Heck, I didn't get that cause we eat rabbits.. Hey, my father is from Italy and when he came to this country and saw bunny rabbit decorations at Easter and thought it was FEAST OF THE WABBIT!!.. Sooooo.. "use your imagination" We also raised rabbits and trialed Beagle.

421711li0go8ohxz.gif

BUT DOGS AND CATS.. and no one has cared to snitch on him????? Ok,???? that is way beyond pulling our chain, "He's not Oriental is he?? "Sorry" my bad... teriyaki :poke:

you can stop the choker now, that went way beyond a fable..... How old are you anyway????

Back