CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Mice delivered defrosted

Old 09-05-2002, 04:38 PM   #1
ERJ
Mice delivered defrosted

would it be OK to re freeze these and feed them to my 2 snakes over the next 3 months or would the damage to the mices guts already be done?
(i live in the UK so recommendations for sites are useless to me)

Old 09-05-2002, 05:16 PM   #2
Jason
NO WAY! Never re-freeze a mouse. I read about someone who fed their snake a re-frozen mouse and the snake died. A snake can go a good few weeks without food so that should give you enough time to find a new supplier. There is a British company that does frozen foods and you can order online. Can't remember the site address but I'll go find it.
Please don't take the risk.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Jason
OK found it. It's www.livefoods.co.uk. Hope this isn't the one you have been using.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:38 PM   #4
Neil
Yeah...

It's annoying when you realise that you haven't ordered quite enough mice and that they've defrosted. You need to order something like 100 adult mice for them to stay frozen in transit. Alternatively you can also order several chicks as these are very cheap (about 9pence) and these will act as ice cubes and help keep the mice frozen.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:40 PM   #5
little twiglet
get back in contact with the company and register a complant straight away never ever refreeze anything
put to the company as if it was there child that they were going to feed hamburgers that had been left out to defrost not cooked and then refrozen they wouldnt do it why should you!!
what company were you using?
www.livefoods.co.uk
are definatly the best people i have to travle to get mine but i always pack them into a freezer bag with freezer blocks
dont take any s*ite from them either!!

Old 09-06-2002, 12:34 PM   #6
Jimmy C.
Oooooooh dont MESS with Little Twiglet!!!

I totally agree with everyone dont re-freeze food.

Jimmy C.

Old 09-06-2002, 04:45 PM   #7
Neil
If you have ordered from livefood.co.uk then you cannot complain because they state on the website that mice will arrive defrosted unless you buy a large amount. IMHO, ordering online is only useful if you want to buy in bulk. Some companies pack the mice in dry ice but I would imagine that this is not cost-effective for small orders.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:43 PM   #8
little twiglet
sorry i was a little mad!!

Old 09-07-2002, 12:46 AM   #9
pinatamonkey
They arrived completely defrosted? And the website says they will? IMO, that's bad business practice to sell items that will have to (or should) be tossed. They could just as easily make a minimum order limit. How were they packed, anyways? Or shipped? The UK isn't that big - mice get across the US still frozen.

Anyway, I've recieved mice that were partially thawed (just a little mushy on the outside) and they worked fine. I've also reused mice - refreezing once. I think the big problem that they guy whose snake died is that he thawed it by leaving the mouse at room temperature , which I think would lead to bacteria a lot faster than if you thawed the mouse quickly.

Old 09-07-2002, 05:46 AM   #10
Neil
Pinatamonkey: They say the mice will arrive defrosted just to warn people. They say that if you buy a large enough amount then they will arrive frozen. It's just a precaution because they don't want to deal with nasty complaints when it's not their fault. The mice come in a polystyrene box filled with polystyrene pieces and the mice themselves are in plastic bags. So, you see, livefood try their hardest to keep the mice frozen and they only expect bulk orders anyway so that's all they need. Anyway, everyone knows how quickly pinkies and fuzzies defrost so the situation gets a lot better when you start ordering adult mice.