• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Dirty" stripes on normal corn

Flagg

My first corn is an 05 normal female from Moreptiles.com.

She seems to have the standard "normal" patterning and coloring, but there are also stripes down her lengthof sort of dirty looking dark spots. She's had this since I got her and it's still there after every shed.

Does anyone know what this is from? A het gene for something perhaps? Or is it just a normal variation that occurs in corn snakes?

None of my other corns have anything like it that I've noticed.

Attachments

• Picture 109.jpg
    Picture 109.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 107
It's totally normal. It's very common in wild-caught corns. It has been bred out of many selectively bred lines, but not all. My Upper Keys het "Z/Cinder" male has very distinctive melanin stripes, despite the fact that Keys corns are noted for their hypo-ish appearance. I like it. :)

Flagg said:
My first corn is an 05 normal female from Moreptiles.com.

She seems to have the standard "normal" patterning and coloring, but there are also stripes down her lengthof sort of dirty looking dark spots. She's had this since I got her and it's still there after every shed.

Does anyone know what this is from? A het gene for something perhaps? Or is it just a normal variation that occurs in corn snakes?

None of my other corns have anything like it that I've noticed.

Attachments

• 020707 zod (2).JPG
    020707 zod (2).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 100
Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but since none of my other 4 corns seem to have it, I wasn't sure.

So if I bred this female to another corn without the melanin stripes, would all the offspring have it, or some, or would it be less distinct? Probably all of the above.

As it turns out, this snake came originally ina bulk purchase from Rich Zuchowski so she could be het for pretty much anything.

Any ideas as to what the best match would be to try to find out what genes she is hiding?

I have a charcoal het amel male that I may give it a shot with next year, but it would be nice if there were something a bit more exotic, as I already have a blizzard female for him.

Flagg said:
So if I bred this female to another corn without the melanin stripes, would all the offspring have it, or some, or would it be less distinct? Probably all of the above.
Hard to say. The female counterpart to the snake I posted above is probably his sister, but her melanin stripes are not well defined at all. I don't think the heredity of this feature can be described by any simple model. :shrugs:

As it turns out, this snake came originally ina bulk purchase from Rich Zuchowski so she could be het for pretty much anything.

Any ideas as to what the best match would be to try to find out what genes she is hiding?

I have a charcoal het amel male that I may give it a shot with next year, but it would be nice if there were something a bit more exotic, as I already have a blizzard female for him.
Well, as you acknowledged, a Serpenco snake could be het for just about anything. The charcoal het amel is a good choice, but I'd probably choose something that's multi-homozygous for some common AND more exotic traits, with some hets thrown in too. Maybe a hypo-lavender het amel motley, or an amber motley het amel. Something like that... :)

My WC normal has that stripe- it continues to get more pronounced. Her black saddle outlines are thin and faint, though.

Nanci

I won't post the pics again, but if you search my post, "introducing holden" I think it's the second pic that shows those stripes best. Are these the natural stripes that breeders strive to accentuate when breeding for stripes?

Back