CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

What size feeders give you the most trouble?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
iculatr
What size feeders give you the most trouble?

Just wondering what everyone's experience is with feeding hatchlings, yearlings/subadults and adults when it comes to bumping-up the size of feeders. Since I do not have enough time in a day to just feed all our snakes in one sitting, I have spread the feedings out to three days. Day #1 feeds the hatchlings, day #2 feeds the yearlings & subadults, and day #3 feeds the adults. I'm sure a lot of people will say they have the most trouble with hatchlings, but the one that is most time-consuming for me is day #2 with the yearlings and subadults. Depending on what size they are, bumping their feeding size from fuzzies to hoppers or hoppers to weenlings seems to be when the snakes are most picky for me. It can be quite annoying at times! I'd rather feed double the amount of hatchlings we have compared to the yearlings and hoppers! Anyone else run into this problem?

Jarrett

Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
iculatr
Oh, and how can I forgot the yearlings that don't want anything else besides large pinkies!!! AHHHH!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
JennaJ
I'm a new snake owner and have yet to bump my snake up to the next size (she's on single pinks and weighs about 12 grams), but since that will happen eventually, I'm interested to hear responses to this!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
AliCat37
I actually have not yet had issues with this... is it common? My corns just eat anything mousey. We'll see how the next round of hatchlings change to the next sizes, all my older corns I have are from the same breeder, so perhaps that has something to do with it. My three hatchlings are all from different breeders right now, so we shall see! My boa gives me the least issues, I just stick a rodent in his cage and it's gone (I've even been using him as my rodent-garbage disposal)! I wonder if this will continue when I get him to rabbits?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
bitsy
Can't day I've had a problem with sub-adults. By that stage, mine have been established eaters and don't tend to turn their noses up at new food sizes. It's definitely the hatchlings which are my bugbear (although as a breeder, I guess I've seen far more non-feeders than someone who's buying Corns).

Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Nanci
I think the most likely time to have refusals is moving from peach fuzzies to hairy fuzzies!

I have two groups of ~12-15 babies that eat every five days. They eat so fast that by the time I take one out, weigh it, set the cup aside, get out the next, same thing, wash the two water bowls, enter them in Deigei, they are ready to go back so I can get the next pair. The best day is the four small yearlings, except one just graduated, so now it's three!

The 21-dayers, 14-Dayers, 10-Dayers and Seven Dayers all eat fast and with no issues. By the time they get to 10 days they no longer need pampering like covering up to eat. Sometimes if a snake needs hours to think about it before eating, I put him in the next group. A couple more days of hunger can make a huge difference in how fast they want to eat!

I guess the only ones that make it difficult are the rat-eaters that I am trying to switch to mice. Two switched to mice easily with no tricks. One will easily eat rat brain-scented mice. John suggested, yesterday, see if he will eat mouse brain-scented. I didn't think of that! The other has to be REALLY hungry to eat rat-scented mice, but he will. The third won't consider mice in any form, except once in a while a pink, and has now rejected any rat fuzzies from Rodents on the Road (too clean?) so hasn't eaten for a couple months, except for getting the brained rat pinks after they've been used up from scenting.

Oh- the way they get on rats in the first place is I give in and give them a rat pink when they won't go to mice fuzzies for several weeks.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Nanci
BTW- I still have your SK boys here- they are doing great! Not even hateful!!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
iculatr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
BTW- I still have your SK boys here- they are doing great! Not even hateful!!
I've been wondering about those guys... Wasn't sure if Carol had them or if they stayed with you. How big are they now?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
iculatr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I think the most likely time to have refusals is moving from peach fuzzies to hairy fuzzies!

I have two groups of ~12-15 babies that eat every five days. They eat so fast that by the time I take one out, weigh it, set the cup aside, get out the next, same thing, wash the two water bowls, enter them in Deigei, they are ready to go back so I can get the next pair. The best day is the four small yearlings, except one just graduated, so now it's three!

The 21-dayers, 14-Dayers, 10-Dayers and Seven Dayers all eat fast and with no issues. By the time they get to 10 days they no longer need pampering like covering up to eat. Sometimes if a snake needs hours to think about it before eating, I put him in the next group. A couple more days of hunger can make a huge difference in how fast they want to eat!

I guess the only ones that make it difficult are the rat-eaters that I am trying to switch to mice. Two switched to mice easily with no tricks. One will easily eat rat brain-scented mice. John suggested, yesterday, see if he will eat mouse brain-scented. I didn't think of that! The other has to be REALLY hungry to eat rat-scented mice, but he will. The third won't consider mice in any form, except once in a while a pink, and has now rejected any rat fuzzies from Rodents on the Road (too clean?) so hasn't eaten for a couple months, except for getting the brained rat pinks after they've been used up from scenting.

Oh- the way they get on rats in the first place is I give in and give them a rat pink when they won't go to mice fuzzies for several weeks.
I'm so glad we haven't run into the whole rat vs. mice feeding issues.....yet. It freaks me out when they stop feeding on a regular schedule...

Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by iculatr View Post
I've been wondering about those guys... Wasn't sure if Carol had them or if they stayed with you. How big are they now?
They are going to Carol's eventually! One is 17g and one is 12g. They started at 6.5. I had a three-snake regurge on their second feeding, involving SK2 (Joppa) and the two Anery Diffused Mot boys due to thawing pinks, then it was the wrong day, so I thought I could refrigerate them overnight, and three of four babies that ate those pinks regurged. So those three had to do regurge protocol, but Joffa, SK1 just kept going. The Mot boys are right around 12g, too.

Lesson learned...

Just one feeding puts a snake way ahead of the clutchmates. In my avalanche stripe clutch, Baby A got fed one feeding before the others, because he hatched first and shed first. So he is on small fuzzies while the rest of the clutch ranges from one guy who is on small pinks to Nate's fire stripe who is ready for a peach fuzzy next time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google