CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

$600 to begin breeding...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
TandJ
Quote:
I'm not looking for a business plan, just what peoples' interests are and why they would choose those certain snakes (like do they plan on combos or they're just the favs, maybe they have "secret plans"? who knows)

I try to resist on following the trends.. Would rather work on my own junk than competeing against others..

Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
Stay away from buying "PROVEN BREEDERS" to try and fast track your colony, ask yourself why would someone move a proven breeder (female). do not get me wrong some are legit,
One word: Space.

Took me a while to find it, but here's an "oldy" but "goody" in the same vain. Enjoy.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20408

D80

Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
freddiesinmyseat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Yea I think we are having the same heat wave here. So if I sounded like I was lecturing, well it's hot and I am grumpy LOL. But we do see a lot of people come and go on this forum and it can be hard to tell who is for real and serious and who sees breeding corns as a get rich scheme. If your hobby pays for itself and you enjoy doing it that can have as much or more value than money in the bank.
OK maybe I didn't get what you were asking for in the original post so this is what I started with: An amel, snow, and anery. Don't have a single one of them anymore. I did gain valuable experience breeding them but my interests have changed since.
I think my question is still valid: What do YOU like? For instance I hate blood reds. I might see them selling like hot cakes but to me they are just blah and I would not breed them. On the other hand, I love ghosts. I don't see a huge demand for them and they are not a high end morph but I keep on working with them because I like them.
lol! np. like I said, I know there's plenty of people in this day and age looking to get rich quick.

blood reds, I do enjoy, but I see myself looking to use the diffused gene they have more so than the color. ghosts are beautiful...I haven't however seen a certain hypo/anery combo yet...which I'm probably going to try if I can get my hands on the right morphs lol!

me and my girlfriend tend to go for the high contrast snakes. if you've ever seen an axanthic killerbee ball python, you'll know what we mean

if I can find the right mix to create something as stunning as that, I'd be more than satisfied with my breeding experience

Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
tbtusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
Also consider selling "Out Of Egg" wholesale at first. this lets you breed hatch and sell without any of the work of selling established Hatchlins. That by the way is more work than most people realize!
I think selling at the shows and chatting with passers by is one of the (many) best parts! I love my time at shows, but then again, I'm not selling that many snakes or going to that many shows, which makes it much less stressful.

As for what I would get, I agree to stay in the $20-$75 level, I think varied clutches are a lot of fun, and I'm a fan of stripes, so that all adds up to a snow stripe and a het snow stripe, if you can get them. That, of course, doesn't get up to $600, so if you want to go high-end I might go with a sunkissed and a charcoal stripe, although they're a bit hard to find. I think that would be a fun breeding project.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
sweet~nichole~marie
It's such a question of personal taste. . . if you are going to end up with a room full of corns that take up all your free time, they should be the ones you like.

I love miamis . . . I love dark red saddles against gray backgrounds, it is just so pretty. I also love motleys and stripes in just about any color because I like to see different/unusual patterns. Anerys because of the black/gray combo . . . I also think normals can be really cool because you can find so many different shades and patterns within them.

Abbott's are beautiful (to me) because of the thick borders and bright colors (especially if the background is more yellow), but don't care as much for regular Okeetees because I think the background color blends too much with the saddle colors *LOL*

I like bloodreds, especially if the adults have little to no pattern left and the red is a really intense, dark red, but as Jen said, she doesn't like them . . . whereas I don't really like caramels and Upper keys because I think the color combo is not very attractive in caramels and the Upper Keys look washed-out to me. But there are tons of people who like the caramels and Upper Keys who are probably getting ready to yell at me! Like I said, it is all a matter of personal taste.

Oh, and I used to hate amels (and any of the albino types because I hated the pink eyes) but now have a snow whom I love - pink eyes and all. So, even your own tastes can change over time.

So, go with what you love, and worry about the money later . . . *grins*

BTW, I have recently seen one or two caramels that I thought were sort of pretty . . . so they are slowly growing on me . . . Jen will laugh at this, but the only caramel I thought was really pretty was a bloodred caramel!

Ok, have to stop now . . . the list keeps getting longer and longer! . . . Oh, and having a few multi-hets are fun because you never know what will show up!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
Shiari
That $600 would, for me, go into buying a couple more aneries and ghosts of the phenotype that I prefer (light light background, dark wide borders, light/colorful saddles) as well as some nice phantoms.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
Old_School
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80 View Post
One word: Space.

Took me a while to find it, but here's an "oldy" but "goody" in the same vain. Enjoy.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20408

D80
Oh Drizz, I completely understand the space issue, been there myself. There are some shady people out there though, You my friend are one of the Good Guys!!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
sweet~nichole~marie
I guess I didn't see this question in this way *shrugs* . . . I was more thinking: "If you had extra money laying around (remember, this is a FANTASY *LOL*) what corns would you buy and why? Sort of a "what's on your want list" type of question . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ View Post
Learn from the school of hard knocks.. If you actually really look, your best to research it on your own.. When posed with a question of this nature, I am more than reluctant to give any information at all, generally I ignore these because they seem so loaded to me.. Good Luck!

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
Old_School
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtusk View Post
I think selling at the shows and chatting with passers by is one of the (many) best parts! I love my time at shows, but then again, I'm not selling that many snakes or going to that many shows, which makes it much less stressful.

As for what I would get, I agree to stay in the $20-$75 level, I think varied clutches are a lot of fun, and I'm a fan of stripes, so that all adds up to a snow stripe and a het snow stripe, if you get them. That, of course, doesn't get up to $600, so if you want to go high-end I might go with a sunkissed and a charcoal stripe, although they're a bit hard to find. I think that would be a fun breeding project.
I too also love the shows. Nothing beats spending the day networking with other Herpers, or when someone buys one of your Corns and tells you how beautiful they are. nothing like good old fashion pride!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
sweet~nichole~marie
Now see, I like anerys with light backgrounds and uniformly dark saddles because of the contrast. Again, personal prefernce *LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
That $600 would, for me, go into buying a couple more aneries and ghosts of the phenotype that I prefer (light light background, dark wide borders, light/colorful saddles) as well as some nice phantoms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google