• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My problem child...

lyndy299

Do what with the who now?
Don't really like to post this because I guess I could search but this is more for opinion than anything else...

My problem child - an 06 anery - recently renamed Cyko (from previous little un'/worm because she's not so small anymore and the name certainly suits her!)

And here she was back when I got her...

DSC00052.jpg

PICT0134.jpg

The story with her is that she's never really settled. She was one of those scaredy bitey hatchlings which didn't bother me at the time...but she never grew out of it. By the time I left her in her temporary home last September she was a yearling...and I still had problems with her...I was persevering because, lets face it, being tagged isn't a problem. I thought she was getting better and hoped in her current home she would be handled.

However, when I visited at Christmas (last time I was home) I was greeted at the door with "By the way, your snake is an absolute psychopath". My friend who's keeping her (she has spidies, bugs, snakes of her own) has had problems to the point that they have decided that because 'she doesn't like to be handled' they won't be doing so, unless for moving to feeding tub and back. I can see why they do this as they have several species they don't handle and it doesn't bother them...but it bothers me...yet they're doing me a huge favour so I can't really criticise too much. I visited to find her at this size (on my friends boyfriends arm):

DSC00490.jpg

She was in blue when I visited - sorry for bad quality and she's dull - but when she was taken out she struck at me a few times and I was told this was normal for her. So basically...come June...I'll be getting her back...in that state. Do you think she's going to come round again..or we can get back on track? I wouldnt mind so much but I have young neices and I've always wanted them to have a good experience with the animals.

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks in advance.

this prolly doesnt answer your question but i had a 7 foot redtail boa that was really bean when i got her, but by the time i had to get rid of rid 4 months later, any body could hold her without a problem, i would think that she would calm down just would take longer then a hatchling would....im sure someone else can help much better then i can tho

My ratsnake was a biter, due to bad handling by his former owner. I wore gardening gloves at first, until he gave up biting and started closed mouth bluff strikes. I only handled him once a week, but each session got better gradually. I don't think he'll ever be as docile as my corns but he can be handled safely now.

Thanks for the advice. Like I say...its not a major problem...but I think everyone knows it's sooo much easier in general when they're docile. I'll see how I get on with her when I finally get the beasties back...

Sorry to hear about your problems with your girl.

I have one like that, a big normal male, I always say he "bunked" (Played hookie?) the day they discussed proper corn snake temprament in corn school. He's as mean as sin...actually, let me rephrase that, I actually believe his "mean" and "aggressive" behaviour to be stemmed from the fact that he is an extremely NERVOUS snake, he is very jumpy and gets a fright easily and reacts aggressively in "self defence".

He is usually fine once you have him though, really nice to handle, just getting him is a problem. I also believe him to be an extremely territorial snake, hence his "defending his territory" when I stick my hand into his viv.

What I do with him is give him extra hiding places (to make him feel secure), make sure he sees me when I am busy around his viv so he doesn't get a fright and I use "the stick" when I want to take him out and handle him, just a short stick I use to move his head out of the way when I want to pick him up.

Its not ideal but hey works for both of us and he does seem to be getting better! :D

Sounds very similar. Nervous is an accurate word. She's just incredibly jumpy...she'll stop eating if something catches her eye and strike at the feeding tub for example. When I lift up hides in her tub she gets so defensive she's not an S she's a upright squiggle and has no problems following my hand...
I'll try "the stick" if I have problems with her. Thanks a lot for the advice.

I love mean snakes, they make me happy. I don't really know why yet, and I doubt I ever will. Maybe it reminds me of putting up with mean corn snakes outdoors. Who knows...:shrugs:

She's a beautiful corn though.

Back