CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello, and some newbie questions.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Kovak
Hello, and some newbie questions.

Hello there, I'm interested in having a Corn Snake friend and may have one in the near future, if my parents don't mind it, but I do have some questions and I'm not sure where to post them, so I hope no one minds if I put them here c:

I'm a bit nervous about getting bitten, which is silly as my past pet rats and current pet dogs have bitten me and it was fine, I guess it's just an irrational fear.

I'm also worried about getting pooped on, for some reason. I know it'll happen eventually and all I'd need to do is clean it up and change my clothes - but I'm still a bit anxious about it.

But, my most pressing question is about handling - I'm getting mixed signals from various owners from what I have read. Some people say they handle their snake only two or three times a week and, while I know to leave them when they are in shed, and 48 hours after eating, I'd probably be handling them much more, as some others do. Like, I'd sit watching TV or films for hours, or browse the internet with my snake in my lap, around my neck, wrist or huddled up somewhere in my clothes. Is this okay? Does anyone else do this? I know I'd need to be aware of how cold (or too warm) they'd get and also take notice of any stress signals, but is keeping them out this long okay?

Thank you very much, and I hope anyone reading this had a great Christmas c:

Old 12-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Em.Mo.Clark
Hey there, and welcome! To answer your first question, I wouldn't worry too much about getting bitten. It might depend on your snake's personality or if it feels threatened. I've had my baby corn for 5 months now and I've never been bitten. But from what I understand, even if you do get bitten, it shouldn't hurt too bad. As for getting pooped on, ironically enough, I've been pooped on by a corn snake once, but it was about 7 years ago in another state. And honestly, it was just hilarious my shirt cleaned up really well and it didn't smell or stain. And then for your last question - how often you handle your snake is completely up to you. Your snake will get used to being handled frequently if you stay consistent for a while. Especially if you get a baby corn snake it's important to be consistent so it can get used to being handled while it's still young. Also, baby corn snakes are usually a little more active than adults, so just make sure to keep an eye on your snake while handling and yes, it's super fun to let your snake curl up somewhere comfy on you and just chill together. The warmer the better! I've worn a hoodie backwards and put my little guy in my hood - he loved it! Just be aware of your snake's personality and look out for him and he'll be perfectly okay. You'll be a great snake owner!❤️ Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Kovak
Hi again c:
And thank you so much for your kind words - you've really boosted my confidence and determination. Like you said, I guess it all does depends on the snakes personality, temperment and individuality and I hope mine would be fine with a lot of handling.

Thank you again and I hope you have a nice evening or day, whatever the time is where you are :3

Old 12-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Corning
Hi. I have one snake that literally poops on me every time I take him out. The other 4 I have don’t but this one does. To the point that I keep his butt under 2 paper towels till he poops. Then we watch tv an hr or 2 and he seems cool with that routine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #5
Kovak
I'm not sure why I'm so anxious about getting pooped on, I guess it's just the 'unknown' aspect of it all. I'm sure when it happens I'll be fine and just clean it up and carry on my day.
And that might be a plan; having paper towel ready just in case and then letting him roam after. C:

Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Em.Mo.Clark
Sounds great! And Lol I completely understand about worry of the unknown - absolutely natural, it's perfectly okay both you and your snake will get used to each other very soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Reggie Wriggle
Got pooped on twice in the first week but hasn't happened for the last two years. Reggie was a bit nervous for the first few weeks. Reggie gets handled about 4 times a week, I leave 3 days to digest the mouse. Reggie is very active when handled. Requires my full attention so no TV or Internet during handling.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google