CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello! New corn parent here c:

Old 02-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Seaweedthesnake
Hello! New corn parent here c:

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...suumjznus.jpeg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...stmke4lpt.jpeg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...syktqjto5.jpeg

Hello all! My name is Becca and I reside in Oregon USA!

I have just about a week ago become “parent” to a long wanted corn snake. I believe it’s a female due to the way her tail tapers but I haven’t had her sexed and I’m only a newbie! I also think she’s just a normal corn and I have yet to understand morphs really. Again I’m very in experienced and if anyone has any insight, I’ve tried to attach informative picks of her and would love to hear wat you all think! She’s about 6 months old.

Lastly, as a little intro question I’d like to ask you all what is one or some of the things you find make your corns days the best they can be?
I’ve tried to do a lot of research and I think I do understand the necessities like terrarium size, heat source and gradient controlled by a stat, hides, water, substrate. I haven’t fed her yet and may skip it until she sheds which hopefully is soon because she’s out of blue!
Anyway I know this is a novel but I would love to hear from you guys, anything you think is worth mentioning is appreciated! Thank you!!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
The Lighting in your pictures is not that good, so I can't say for sure if it's a Normal or not, although it does look to be.

She looks very curious in that first picture, typical corn snake curiosity. Mine watches me all the time.

You stated she's "Out of Blue" so the shed should happen usually only a few days after. (We'll say 2 to 5 days) but they are always different. Mine usually shed on about the 3rd or 4th day after blue phase is cleared up.

She will appreciate things to rub against to help her out, so I hope you have stuff like Driftwood, Rocks, Hides, Vines, etc, that she can use to rub on.

Have you weighed her yet? Do you have the correct sized food for her? She will probably be hungry after the shed.

When I first got my snake I always Tapped on the side of the cage before sticking my hind in there. That's "His Space" and I'm invading it, so I try to give a warning before I go in.
That way he's not surprised when I pick up a rock or move his hide, etc. I've heard some people say they picked up their snake while it was sleeping, and it startled the snake and they got a bad reaction from it. So I figured if I make a little noise or vibration first, then it can't hurt, right? Anyway, to make a long story short, I still tap on his cage and he's over 3 years old now, and when I do, he sticks his head up and looks at me. Pretty cute. And if he's not Hiding, whenever I walk into the room, he crawls to the door. Most of the time when I open the door he will crawl right into my hands.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #3
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
The Lighting in your pictures is not that good, so I can't say for sure if it's a Normal or not, although it does look to be.

She looks very curious in that first picture, typical corn snake curiosity. Mine watches me all the time.

You stated she's "Out of Blue" so the shed should happen usually only a few days after. (We'll say 2 to 5 days) but they are always different. Mine usually shed on about the 3rd or 4th day after blue phase is cleared up.

She will appreciate things to rub against to help her out, so I hope you have stuff like Driftwood, Rocks, Hides, Vines, etc, that she can use to rub on.

Have you weighed her yet? Do you have the correct sized food for her? She will probably be hungry after the shed.

When I first got my snake I always Tapped on the side of the cage before sticking my hind in there. That's "His Space" and I'm invading it, so I try to give a warning before I go in.
That way he's not surprised when I pick up a rock or move his hide, etc. I've heard some people say they picked up their snake while it was sleeping, and it startled the snake and they got a bad reaction from it. So I figured if I make a little noise or vibration first, then it can't hurt, right? Anyway, to make a long story short, I still tap on his cage and he's over 3 years old now, and when I do, he sticks his head up and looks at me. Pretty cute. And if he's not Hiding, whenever I walk into the room, he crawls to the door. Most of the time when I open the door he will crawl right into my hands.
Ah I see! I’m trying not to bother her too much yet ao I haven’t moved her into photo shoot lighting but I can’t help trying to get some pictures anyway!

I didn’t realize that was typical of them as they like to burrow and hide but that makes a lot of sense! We have staring contests, she often peeps her head out of burrows to see what’s going on, she loves to reach right up in my face and always turns around for the camera!

Okay I will watch for her shed! definitely hoping she sheds soon, mostly just to see her shed and how it goes. She was “in blue” for about 4 days, does that seem typical?

Oh yes! She’s got 2 plants with “rough” bases, some plastic vines with leaves, 1 wood hide and 1 rocky hide and a big pice of driftwood. However, I have noticed she doesn’t really rub on them. She tends to just rub her face around the edges of the tank which are all glass so I’m worried it’s not helping her out much :c

Oh no I haven’t weighed her yet and I’m not sure of her weight! If she tolerates me tomorrow I will weigh her and double check that I’m feeding her what’s right for her size. The shop I got her at said they feed her two pinkies every Wednesday and I’m emabarassed to say I didn’t think to double check that that was appropriate for her. Definitely will make sure to feed her after the shed, I was told she’s a good eater so I’m hoping for the best. So it’s probably best not to try to feed her on her normal feeding day if she hasn’t shed yet?

Oh wow I love that! That sounds like a good practice (a practice I’m going to have to adopt) and it sounds like it’s worked great for the both of you! What you have with your snake is absolutely the kind of relationship I would like to have with mine. I don’t know all the science behind the “snakes don’t feel love” stuff, but I couldn’t be convinced that they don’t feel a bond with a good caretaker. You and yours I think are definitely proof of a bond!

Thank you a ton for your reply, I appreciate it more than you know!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google