CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Yellow jackets...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
kgmax1228
Smile Pyrethrin

Made from plants-eco friendly - far better than using a known carcinogen -i am surprised that someone so educated would suggest using gasoline

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
smallet
A can of brake clean works well. And it evaporates fast. Plus it kills them in seconds and those that don't die right away can't fly. But that is just me, it is still probably not the best for the enviroment. Makes you wonder if it kills them so fast, what does it do to us.....but that is another subject. Kills them through the nest as well as the nest material absorbs it really well.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Rich Z
Actually most of the gasoline would evaporate into the air LONG before percolating down into the ground to the ground water level. I'm just not keen on using gasoline right next to my house. Not only will the fumes likely get into the house, but it is definitely a fire hazard I would rather not take. The yellow jackets could get so angry that they would burst into flames. Then where would I be?

I checked on the nest today and the yellow jackets are all over the place at the back of the house. First I need to clear away the gardening pots around the hole before I do anything, as they will make it tough to put a cover over the hole after I spray into it.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallet View Post
A can of brake clean works well. And it evaporates fast. Plus it kills them in seconds and those that don't die right away can't fly. But that is just me, it is still probably not the best for the enviroment. Makes you wonder if it kills them so fast, what does it do to us.....but that is another subject. Kills them through the nest as well as the nest material absorbs it really well.
That reminds me. I used some GM adhesive remover on a fire ant mound a while back and that really wiped them out. The stuff has a very powerful odor that made me woozy even out in the open air.

But again, being right next to my house, I really don't want that odor getting inside and maybe asphyxiating Connie and myself...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
susang
Yellow jackets ugh, got stung three times last year all in about 2 minutes.
We have those big wood borer beetles and we found if you see them go in the hole and then spray WD40 it kills them, just a little fyi.
I would really like something for yellow jackets easy enough for us slow moving more mature people (old). Something that won't also kill the bees.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
kgmax1228
Exclamation flames

hope your fire dept is nearby

Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmax1228 View Post
Made from plants-eco friendly - far better than using a known carcinogen -i am surprised that someone so educated would suggest using gasoline
My point is that whatever you use is going to have toxic effects. Pyrethrin will kill non-target insects as well as using most other means of insecticide including non-conventional means such as gasoline. I am not advocating using gasoline, I was merely offering a suggestion that I know people who use it as a method of yellow jacket control.

The most eco-friendly method that I have heard of is to put some sweet smelling fruits near the hole around dusk and let the raccoons and skunks come get that. More often than not they will take the yellow jacket nest too as the larva are a great energy source. I have used this method twice with great success.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
kgmax1228
Lightbulb Raccoons

Good idea-eco friendly

Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
After having parked my horse on a yellow jacket nest when I was a teenager, and getting stung literally hundreds of times by the little terrorists, I fear them like nothing else.

When they come into the house, I spray them with 409. Works in seconds.

But removing a nest? I don't know what I'd do. Probably move out....

I wonder if subduing them with smoke, like they use to subdue honeybees, would work, and then you could do whatever it is you're going to do with the nest?. If you can get the smoke through the rocks, it seems like it would give you a couple of minutes or so to get through the rocks and to the nest before they became active again.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmax1228 View Post
Good idea-eco friendly
And hopefully the raccoons get stung a lot, because I hate them. Evil predators.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google