CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Need some help picking a camera

Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Thickscaled
Need some help picking a camera

I looked at the other thread but I figured I post my own so I can add a bit more detail. I'm looking for a decent to awesome DSLR camera. The camera would mainly be a nature/wildlife/pet camera with some portrait and other things but the main focus would be those three.

I've got a Canon Powershot S5 IS right now and the only reasons I'm upgrading is the pictures have started to become grainy no matter how steady the camera is or how sunny it is outside. I'm also gonna be taking Photography classes in college soon and a DSLR is required for the class.

Camera's I've looked at:
Canon T2i
Canon T3i
Nikon D5000
Nikon D5100
Nikon D300

I know there are more out there, and I'm only really wanting to get a canon or Nikon. I'm not a huge Kodak, Sony or Olympus fan other then the Olympus waterproof cameras. But just some help would be nice. If you have suggestions other then the ones I posted about I'll be glad to look into them. I'm just having a hard time picking between camera's and would love some input from people who've used certain ones to help me out.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
SquamishSerpents
I find this to be the best for comparing cameras:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D5000

And if those are your choices, I'd go with the D5100.

OR for more $ ($1400), you could step it up to the D7000. In my opinion, if you're going to buy a DSLR, don't buy anything entry-level! But then again, I'm a major gadget freak, and also a long-time photographer so my opinion is biased :P You also mentioned you'd be shooting nature/wildlife, and for that I would definitely suggest the D7000, as it's weather sealed. Always a good thing!

You also mentioned the D300, which I'm not sure will be super easy to find. And is an older model. The newer models probably have more features.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
whoty
With the three things you've listed as your main reasons to get a DSLR,I would say get a camera with a decent FPS=frames per second,a good AF system,and decent at shooting in low light. I'd recommend the Canon 7D. I don't know if it's out of your budget or not,but it's a fantastic camera.

Don't worry about what SquamishSerpents said about getting an entry-level camera. Unless you plan to make a living doing photography,entry-level is all you really need. That and some good lenses.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Thickscaled
Eventually Photography and breeding are the two things I want to do. I mainly want a decent camera for school and to replace my current camera which is starting to fade. My budget is about 800 for body so I can get a nice telephoto lens and a good macro lens as well to shoot my current reptiles with for my future site. One plus about where I'm buying it, I'll have no sales tax on the camera so it gives me more to play with when it comes to the money. Mainly this is my treat from the Government by them letting me have my taxes back. I'll be going to a pro camera store when I get off vacation as well, and seeing if they can do a bundle for me.

I love the weather sealed fact, as I do shoot lightning and that'd let me have more then just through car glass to catch them.

Thank you both for your advice, I'm still welcoming some advice and help on picking one out. I'll be getting it by the 2nd week in Feb so do expect to see photos in the gallery when it's picked up.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
SquamishSerpents
Haha yeah see what I mean, I'm a gadget freak. FREAK I TELL YA!!

I say if you've got the $, go for it, especially if you're planning on making photography a big part of your life. I have the Nikon D90 and I'm SO GLAD I didn't go with the D60 when I first purchased my camera. Because like you, mine was a treat from the government and if I had got the D60 I just don't see where in my life I could come up with the funds to upgrade :P

Even now I'm wishing I could get the D7000 body. It would be so nice to take 2 bodies on shoots, that way I wouldn't have to make my clients wait while I switch lenses!

Oh also don't think I'm a Nikon vs Canon kind of person, because I'm so not. To be honest a big factor in my decision on which brand of camera to buy was based on what all my friends had, because of the convenience of borrowing gear from each other.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Joejr14
Just to throw it out there, the D300 is still pretty easy to find. It is discontinued, so you'd have to settle for a used model.

I have one, and I love it. It's weather sealed. Same sensor as the D90, pretty good with higher ISO's, and was essentially a mini D3.

The D5100 and D7000 are both good options. If you're looking to save some cash I'd definitely recommend looking at your used options. I wish I had gone the used route from the start...would have saved myself a LOT of cash!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
HeavenHell
Be aware that Nikon camera models such as the D5100, D5000, D3100, D3000, D60, and D40 do not have a built-in focusing motor and will require an AF-S lens for autofocus.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenHell View Post
Be aware that Nikon camera models such as the D5100, D5000, D3100, D3000, D60, and D40 do not have a built-in focusing motor and will require an AF-S lens for autofocus.
Which isn't a problem if you're buying a Nikon lens that was made in the past 10 years...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
BooBoo18
My niece is a professional photographer and suggested the Cannon Rebel T2i to me when I was looking for a DSLR. I never got around to buying it cause she sold me her Cannon EOS 40D which I love. I am still looking for a Macro lense for it but just posted progression threads of my guys this weekend if you want to see the quality. I just put it on the marco setting and used auto everything else. I think it did a great job!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google