CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

do i need bigger viv and to feed more???

Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
*~* D@N BOI *~*
Question do i need bigger viv and to feed more???

ive just came back from hols and whilst i was away Lolah shed and looking at the skin she seems to have grown very long, ive messured her shed skin at 58 cm (23ish inches) im currently feeding her 1 pinkie every 6-7 days which was what i was told by the pet store to do for a year, she was about 3 months when i got her and is now around 12 months old do you think i should feed more often say every 4-5 days, she doesnt seem to search around for food which ive been told that a good indication that she's getting enough, also her vivarium is 18 inches by 12 inches she seems more then happy in her cave and can still get in and out with ease and the same situation with her half log do you think i need a larger viv or will this size be ok for her,

Many thanks for helpful information

Dan Boi

Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
kcaven
It sounds like your snake should probably be on a mouse a little bigger. My 10 mo old male is on a hopper every 7 days. Can you see a noticeable size lump in his body after he eats? The width of the mouse should be no more than 1 and a half times the size the width of your snake. Maybe just jump to fuzzies??? Or maybe see if she'll take two pinkies at a time??? Could you post a picture? (even though it is still hard to tell in pics). Maybe someone else on here can give their opinion as well.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
*~* D@N BOI *~*
thanks

you can still see a lump once she has eaten, the pinkies i have are about 1 1/2 the size of her head her head is roughly 1 cm long and 3/4 cm wide she still seems small and slender but long, but you cant see her spine and she hasnt got the triangle shape the underweight snakes ive seen have so i think shes a healthy weight, ill get a pik up as soon as i can thanks for the advice

Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
TWGarland
From your descriptions, yes your snake soes sound like its at a healthy weight.

But as was said by Kcaven, you need to try and feed a prey item thats 1 to 1.5 times the girth/width of your snake, at its fattest point, ie. the belly, ignore head size when choosing prey size

At 12 months old, your snake should virtually definately be on fuzzies, i'd recommend trying one out, your snake will probably take it like a champ!

Oh, nearly forgot, measuring a snake shed is a very inaccurate way to come up with a length for your snake, the shed can strectch by up to a third of the length of your snake i've heard! Even if that is slightly exeggerated, your shed is still likely to be longer than your snake actaully is.

All the best

Tom

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
*~* D@N BOI *~*
thanks

thanks tom i was going to ask about the shedding i took alook at her just and she has got alot longer but shes more 18 - 20 inches rather then 23 ill try her on fuzzies when next feeding comes around thanks for the info its been very usful'
many thanks

Dan Boi

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google