CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Egg incubator rack

Old 02-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #11
gazzaman2k
OMG thats a lot of snakes :| imagine putting each tub into a box lol lucky dip of snakes imagine all the nice patterns theyll all have

Old 02-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #12
paulc
Just think one of your little babies could be in that rack.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #13
leia
Wow that's a lot of snakes!

It must be really hard to keep track of how many you have, what kind, which one did what. I guess that's what the stickers on the boxes do, but still.

Just curious, do you even bother naming them?

I realize it is your job, and a lot of other people here have a whole bunch of snakes too, but it kinda seems like having that many makes it into like a collection of objects than pets.

Do you manage to handle them all regularly? Because it seems like that would take FOREVER to get to each of them.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #14
zooguy
I'm going crazy just thinking about all those snakes!

Old 03-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #15
VinnyJ
I know this one is old but I just had to dig it back up because it's egg laying season again and this rack is so impressive. This is by far the biggest egg rack I've seen.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #16
princess
Talking

You're right Vinny...that's one helluva rack!

I'd just love some facts and figures, like for example, I buy a pag of vermiculite and it lasts me 2 seasons worth of incubation...how many kilos at a time does Rich buy??

I buy my mice 200-500 at a time...how many thousands of pinkies will Rich go through in a season?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #17
Arcanefate
Rich,
Do the racks work better for you than actual enclosed incubators? Are they more work? I am looking for something "bigger" than an incubator, but I don't want to have to worry about spraying it down ten times a day.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #18
pcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanefate
Rich,
Do the racks work better for you than actual enclosed incubators? Are they more work? I am looking for something "bigger" than an incubator, but I don't want to have to worry about spraying it down ten times a day.

Obviously I am not rich, but I have an answer for you. I use Ziploc rectangle containers for egg hatching. I put wet spaghnam moss in there and cover the eggs with it. Then I place the containers in my rack up against the heat tape and let them site. I check on them about once ever 2 or 3 weeks to make sure they are moist and to see that the eggs aren't molded. I have found that if you don't put holes in the eggs boxes, you don't loose moisture, and when you open them back up, you replinish the oxygen. I haven't lost any eggs hatching them this way. My first hatching season, I did an incubator, and lost all but 1 egg.

Just my 2-cents.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #19
Rich Z
Actually I started using shoeboxes with undrilled lids a couple of years ago and found out I had much better luck with eggs not drying out. With the number of clutches I have, I just don't find the time to check on them all in a timely fashion. Generally with ventilated boxes, the clutches at the top of the rack and on the outside edges were much more prone to getting more quickly dehydrated. With the undrilled lids, this problem went away. At best, I may check on a clutch of eggs by opening the lid MAYBE once in the 68 days it takes them to hatch. So airflow for oxygen replenishment doesn't appear to be a problem. Quite likely the oxygen needed is extracted from the moisture in the medium.

The rack system in the open room works just fine for me. An incubator just is not necessary as long as the temps in the room don't reach extremes.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 PM   #20
TandJ
Indeed a very nice rack.. Happen to have some recent pictures? Happen to have any plans for such racks??

Regards.. Tim and Jen...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google