CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Saw this and thought of you, Rich

Old 08-10-2003, 06:52 PM   #11
kenster
Clint,
I too love my Ruger 10/22. It is my rabbit gun. Nothing better than a pack of howling beagles and a little rabbit in the snow, and the 10 round clip! Actaully we take our clips sand them down a bit so they are flat then epoxy them back to back. Which seems to work really well. I have tried the bananna clips before and they seem to to get too hot and jam up a lot. Speaking of that do you shoot Winchester shells out of your ruger? I can shoot Remington and Federal all day but give me a box of Winchester and I'll have nothing but jams....

Talking about shooting has made me think that in about 2 months I'll be in North Dakota on my pheasant trip, boy i need to get to the sporting clays range!!

Ken

Old 08-10-2003, 07:15 PM   #12
Rich Z
I've tried about every type of .22 ammo there is, including the match grade stuff, but both of my 10/22s prefer CCI Stingers over everything else. I was pretty surprised about this discovery!

I'm thinking about getting a new trigger group for my stainless model, since it is a little gritty feeling and pretty heavy. One of these days I need to browse through the Brownell's catalog and find one, I guess.

Speaking of .22s, a friend of mine gave me an H&K semi auto .22 rifle a while back. I think it is a model 270?? Anyway I took it down to my shooting area and set up a target at around 30 yards to just see where the scope was adjusted. Put 10 rounds in the clip and set the gun on my rest and emptied the clip. I saw one hole near the top of the paper, so I figured the other nine shots must have gone over the top of the target and missed the paper completely. However when I walked down to check it out, I found one ragged hole where all 10 shots had gone through.

Oh yeah, that was with CCI Stingers as well.....

Old 08-10-2003, 07:56 PM   #13
kenster
CCI Stingers huh....Now are those the hyper-velocity shells? I may have to look into them. Just as long as they are hollow points, the only thing I shoot around my dogs...

10 shots in one hole, now that is a feat! I have got two in the same hole with my 7mm and I was very happy. I can't imagine, 10 in a row!

Rich is there any gun you don't own??

Ken

Old 08-10-2003, 09:36 PM   #14
Clint Boyer
American Eagles.......

Federal makes them. I've found these to be a very accurate and inexpensive round. They are 38 grain hollow points. You definately need the hollow point when squirrel hunting. If you use solids, they will almost always make it back down thier burrow. The CCI's work well too but they have a harsher 'CRACK' on the ears.
I've had good luck with the 25 round clip, the only problem is the dang thing gets in the way when improvising a rest. I bought my first 25 round clip for $10 then the ban hit and they jumped up to $50 to $70 when you could find them. I bought up several when they jumped up to $12 just before the ban.
My wifes stainless 10/22 is stock except for the composite stock. I was going to customize it but it shot so well, I just left it alone. The trigger could use some help though.
I put a stainless, heavy .910 barrel with a match chamber, composite stock, custom hammer and a silver Luepold 2.5 X 8 vari X III with Butler Creek flip up scope covers on my stainless rifle. It's one of my favorites!
I've thought about a Timeny trigger group but the hammer was all it needed to lighten up the trigger and get rid of any creep.

I'm not familiar with the H&K but any one holer would have a space in my safe!

Old 08-10-2003, 10:09 PM   #15
kenster
You guys and your custom guns...

Mine are all pretty much stock. I just add a "decent" scope and call it good. Maybe my 25 round clip was bad, but it seemed after about 12 shots it would jam on me. Guess if I was a better aim, I wouldn't have to get to 12 huh?!

Ok now what type of shotguns do you both have and shoot??

Ken

Old 08-10-2003, 10:59 PM   #16
Clint Boyer
A bit short in that dept..........

I only own 2, a Weatherby 82 in 12 ga.
and a Beretta BL-3 O/U in 20 ga.

I hunt grouse and quail occasionally now. I used to hunt pheasant in the late 70's, shot a lot of clay birds too. That was fun!

Old 08-10-2003, 11:26 PM   #17
Rich Z
Hmm, I don't have very many shotguns. Let me think about it..
  • Benelli 121 M1
  • Benelli M3
  • Beretta 1201FP
  • Mossberg 550 Bullpup
  • Norinco SPM-12 side by side
  • Stoeger Stagecoach side by side
  • StreetSweeper (yes it is registered as a DD)

I had to cheat and check my inventory list...

Those are all 12 gauges, btw. You know, I actually saw an 8 gauge shotgun at a show not too long ago. Impressive looking, but I wouldn't want to shoot it!

Old 08-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #18
kenster
I have always wanted an O/U but they are a bit expensive and I wouldn't want to carry something that nice around through the swamp. I have a few "scatter guns". I have a single shot .410 that was my very first gun, I can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, but I have to keep it! Then I have a Remington 1100 LT .20, the first gun I ever bought myself. I love that gun, it has gotten me my first buck, first pheasant, first grouse, and the list goes on. I also have a Mossberg 835, which I liked for ducks/geese. Just last year I got a Winchester super X2 mag .12 in the wetlands camo pattern. Which now has became my duck/goose/deer gun!

I spend a lot of time in the woods starting Sept. (just ask my wife)! Every weekend my dad and I are out in search of grouse and woodcock. Of course we take along our trusty german shorthair pointer. And this year I have picked up a chocolate lab which will be joining us as well. Pheasants are few and far between here in Mi. Which is why we have our trip to ND every two years.

Ken

Old 08-10-2003, 11:34 PM   #19
kenster
A StreetSweeper??!! I have seen pic's of them once (hint hint hint). how many shells does that thing hold Rich? My dad has always said if he could buy one gun for "show" it would be a StreetSweeper..

Benelli's are a very nice guns. My buddy has a 12 and a 20 both super light and seem to be a bit quicker than my Remington.

Very impressive list BTW Rich...

Ken

Old 08-11-2003, 12:57 AM   #20
Clint Boyer
There's a fella on one of the TV shooting shows that does some pretty amazing things with a Benelli.

I really like the feel of the O/U, it's very quick handling. I'd always wanted one too and then my dad picked this one up. He had it for awhile but he couldn't get down on it far enough to site it properly without bruising his cheek.

Slugs for deer huh? Is that a regulation? There are quite a few places around here that slugs would do well for Black tail deer. One rifle I've found really handy here in the brush is my Remington model 7 youth model in 7mm08. I like to pack when my wife or son doesn't have it. I'm not a big guy so if I'm wearing a heavy jacket it really does fit the bill.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google