CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Herping in Mississippi

Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
nmoore601
Smile Herping in Mississippi

I am looking for the best places to set up tin and boards to catch native colubrids. I am looking for info on the in and outs the does and fonts of herping in the field. I have a lot of tin placed and covered it. It's placed in pine woods. Near streams.

Is there a herp group in the south that goes out herping? Like in Mississippi, Alabama, or Louisiana? Are there any hero clubs in Mississippi? When I lived in California years ago there were tons of groups that meet monthly and had regular excursions. I am really interested in any feed back.

We did a lot of road hunting out west. Is this a common practice in the south?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Carpe Serpentis
Bumping this as no one answered and I'd really like the same information for the Wendell, Knightdale, Zebulon, or Raleigh areas in North Carolina. I would love to take my daughter, who is home schooled, on some outings to learn more about snakes in their natural environment with some experienced herpers.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Buzzard
Here is a list of herp societies for multiple states. If you are field herping you really have to know your local species and be familiar with your state laws. For example in some states it is illegal to capture and/or keep anything that is considered native to the state (in AL we actually have to obtain a permit from the state for any field work that we do and then we report our observations/collections to the state at the end of the year). There are also some places within states that will not allow you to get off the path and turn things over to look for herps in the field. The best place to start would be your local herp society or PARC (Partners for Amphibian and Reptile Conservation) chapter - they tend to do field trips.

http://www.herper.com/forum/societies.html
http://www.parcplace.org/

Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Carpe Serpentis
Thank you Buzzard

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google