CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Want a second snake: Corn or BP?

Old 10-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #21
MysticExotics
Thank you Daddio and Karl!
I love black snakes! The Eastern Indigo is one I'd love to have, but my ultimate black snake is the Boelen's Python. Some day, I will have one!

I think part of the bias against BP's is that they can be quite difficult to feed at times.
The most common comment that I have heard in favor of them, is that is where the money is at. I personally do not chose my reptiles based on how much money they can make for me, but rather how much I enjoy keeping them.
BP's can be a good beginner snake in the fact that they are docile, but there's that pesky feeding strike thing some times.

There have been some very good options listed.

GTP are another favorite of mine. I only have one, but he/she is a very cool creature!
They are more of a display animal than an interaction one. *That's not to say that you cannot interact with them, but it is important to limit handling for the first year or so, because their spines are fragile, and can be easily damaged. Another factor is you do not want to handle them in the evening, when their feeding response kicks in.

You will hear a lot that they have poor temperaments. It depends on the locality. I think a lot of people chose Biak's, which are prone to less than desirable temperaments.
I have a Manakwari, which is one of the more docile locales. Someday, I will probably get a second one. (Pictured is my baby, "Wicked"..because he/she is wicked cool, not wicked mean. LOL)

I also keep Carpet Pythons, which I really enjoy.
(Pictured are; Irian Jaya, Inland, and Albino Darwin).

Pick something that you have a passion for. If you aren't sure, go to a local expo (if you have one) and check them out in person, and see what you are drawn to.

Many of us here keep a variety pf species, and can help answer questions on something you might be interested in.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #22
Tavia
My husband and I keep 16 different species of snakes and really like them all. Many would be good for a second snake. I've briefly kept 2 younger BPs and neither was very hard. They can be a good beginner snake and if you love them, go for it!

I personally like them well enough, when they are younger but (might just be the few I've interacted with) I don't really like the adults. Their colors are less appealing, they seem to be pet rocks at that age, other than the ones that are defensive and bite, and I don't like the adult body shape. However, my husband doesn't like them as much as other species and especially does not like the "culture" for lack of a better word, among the breeders of them, so he refuses to own one.
But that's all personal opinion!

Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #23
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
However, my husband doesn't like them as much as other species and especially does not like the "culture" for lack of a better word, among the breeders of them, so he refuses to own one.
But that's all personal opinion!
Just from reading on the BOI and faunaclassifieds in general, it seems like most of the drama in the reptile world is with the ball python community. Might just be because they're popular, though.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #24
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Just from reading on the BOI and faunaclassifieds in general, it seems like most of the drama in the reptile world is with the ball python community. Might just be because they're popular, though.
I think a lot of the BP community drama is due to money.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #25
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by claire.chapman11 View Post
By the way, you're on a corn snake forum so most people are a little biased haha. I'd check out a BP forum too to get another perspective. You really can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but most of us kept many other species before settling on cornsnakes, and I'd say many of us still keep other species. I haven't kept as wide a variety as some, but I've kept Florida kings, Rosy boas, Mex Mex kings, Nelsons Milks, eastern hoggies, tricolor hoggies, Apalachicola kings, garters, red bellies, smooth greens, and more that I've forgotten.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #26
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Yeah, but most of us kept many other species before settling on cornsnakes, and I'd say many of us still keep other species. I haven't kept as wide a variety as some, but I've kept Florida kings, Rosy boas, Mex Mex kings, Nelsons Milks, eastern hoggies, tricolor hoggies, Apalachicola kings, garters, red bellies, smooth greens, and more that I've forgotten.
Very true. Plus, on a BP forum, it will likely be biased against Corns, and for BP's.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #27
compasslogic
Hmm lots to consider. I was mostly drawn to bps just because when I go to shows, there are just zillions of them in so many colors. And the pied snakes are just stunning. I wish we had real pied corns I also love the idea of a snake that will just sit on you and not move.

But in general I think corns have better and more interesting morphs

Most importantly though, I need an easy snake. I really really really don't want to ever feed live. I could do it (and have in the past) but I just hate it since I used to own gerbils and love little rodents as much as snakes. So if bps are more likely to need live because they are being picky, that's a big factor for me.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #28
MysticExotics
Kingsnakes hardly ever go on feeding strike. The only times would likely be while in she'd (not really a feeding strike) or possibly when it's breeding season.
There are a variety of morphs of Kingsnakes (MBK's are my favorite though.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
ball python