CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

First hook-ups for me!!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #21
Jessicat
Congrats!! Awesome pairing, I'm definitely a fan of anything Charcoal, and those two are SUCH good examples of their morphs!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
rich333
Jessicat,

thank you!!! I too LOVE charcoal based morphs...it's obvious i think..anyway..the easy part is done...now we just keep putting him to her..to ensure we get the desired results...then we....pray,cuss,bang my head against the wall..run in circles...chew fingernails(what there are of them)..pull out hair(what there is left)....yeah...I got this!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #23
Snakehead
Something to consider....Some may say that leaving a pair of snakes together for prolonged times might be stressing the female, but when you consider how little execise our captive snakes get, it may do more good than harm. I have observed corn snakes that have been left together during breeding season and if you leave some hide spots the female knows how to become untouchable. I have seen the females curl up in a hide or in a corner and leave the males no option but to curl up along side of them. I also have noticed that the males do tire and give up for periods of time. So it's not like the female is constantly running from Peppe le Pue! When you consider that the prime suspect for egg binding is females that become lethargic, it may do some good for her to get some exercise. Leaving them together at least for extende periods may also ensure that the male is in there when the female is ready for him. I have heard of infertile or partiall infertile clutches being blamed for bad timing. I can tell you this...every female I leave with it's mate gets gravid. Now after I am sure she is nearing her time to lay, and she is swelled with eggs, I do remove the male to give her the peace she needs. Our way of thinking isn't always the best for the animals. Think about it!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
Nanci
I start planned exercise for the females after they are done breeding and continue till they go into their pre-lay shed. I'm too nervous to leave them together.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #25
rich333
Honestly guys & gals....

I can see both sides of this coin. leaving the male in with her would most certainly ensure that the pair mate on thier terms,while also ensuring she would get PLENTY of exercise in the process. but flip that coin..and we are dealing with the unseen & potentially fatal "Diease" called stress. So i think if a person were to leave them together say..overnight...then 3 days off then overnight...would she not get some excercise but still not be so stressed that it might have an adverse effect on the development of eggs?? Just trying to see it both ways i guess... Also, she..the Ultramel charcoal...is a Serious Strike & coil kind of gal...I always give the tail (of the mouse) a few tugs...just to ensure shes sqeezing the daylights out of the mouse...I've read that if you do this...the act of squeezing the prey item serves as "exercise", and has shown to decrease the amount of eggbound females. I believe it's in kathy Loves Book. plus on the off days (not a feeding day or the 48hrs after) Shes always out climbing stuff...by out..i mean out of the tub.
well, tuesday, they go back at it.....hopefully i'll get more pics.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #26
Snakehead
Rich you are correct. There's no one way to do anything usually. Everyone must find what they are most comfortable doing. I've been doing this a long time and this is the easiest and most tried and true way for me. I definitely understand if Nanci or anyone else, is not comfortable putting them together for long periods of time. You mentioned this was your first hook ups, so I figured the easiest way was to leave them together. Years ago I used to keep Corns in pairs all the time, and I never had a female get stressed. At least I never knew it? I do agree it probably isn't the best of situations, if one were sick then it would easily pass to the cage mate. Yet this can happen when placing them together to mate also. anywho good luck with the breedings to you and to all this year. May all your plans be successful!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
stephen
Congrats

Glad they hooked up for you, I would suggest next time you put them together put them into a container with no aspen or nothing in it .The aspen can get stuck to and into places it shouldnt and could cause problems. Its always exciting to have your first breeding and to see the eggs pip.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #28
wax32
Congrats and good luck! That is gonna be a mess of grey snakes!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #29
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakehead View Post
Rich you are correct. There's no one way to do anything usually. Everyone must find what they are most comfortable doing. I've been doing this a long time and this is the easiest and most tried and true way for me. I definitely understand if Nanci or anyone else, is not comfortable putting them together for long periods of time. You mentioned this was your first hook ups, so I figured the easiest way was to leave them together. Years ago I used to keep Corns in pairs all the time, and I never had a female get stressed. At least I never knew it? I do agree it probably isn't the best of situations, if one were sick then it would easily pass to the cage mate. Yet this can happen when placing them together to mate also. anywho good luck with the breedings to you and to all this year. May all your plans be successful!
Thanks So much for the kind words of encouragement!! It feels kinda like driving blindfolded..and you guys are in the passenger seat telling me when to turn....It's an undeniablely "fun" feeling.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #30
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax32 View Post
Congrats and good luck! That is gonna be a mess of grey snakes!
And hopefully a white one

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
first time breeding