CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Hip hip horray! I finally got my first pip today!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #81
MysticExotics
Congrats on the babies! Sorry to hear that you lost one. Watch the others carefully, in case they're also affected by the heat.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #82
wildlifephotographer
I have been keeping my eye on them. They all seem very good and even ate their first extra small pinkie mice for me tonight. So out of the first 13, not including the anery.. all but 3 have eaten. one of the hypo's that I am keeping hasn't eaten, and #3 which is a snow and # 7 which is a ghost has also not ate for me yet. #'s 1 Anery, 2, Anery, 4-Normal, 6-ghost, 9-Amel, 10-Hypo, 11 Amel, 12-Amel, 13-Normal have ate for me. So I think so far they are doing good. I forgot to take photos of the one's that shed before I fed them so I will have to wait on taking pics of them until they are done digesting food. Will post pics in 3-4 days. Thanks everyone for all the comments so far. I love these forums. I really appreciate all the help I've gotten so far and compliments on my babies.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #83
wildlifephotographer
# 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 have yet to shed their skins...so I hope to see some more tomorrow afternoon when I get up from bed.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #84
Pasodama
The babies are looking good and congrats on the first feeds.
I am so very sorry to hear about the Anery you lost.
Am sure you won't do it again, and I know how horrible you must feel, but I just have to say it ... please, don't take them out, in the sun, again. It gets hotter, than one may think, inside the containers (hotter than it is/feels outside) and they do not need the UV (so, it is unnecessary to take them out for some sun).
Not berating you at all, so please don't think I am, just some friendly advice/info.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #85
wildlifephotographer
It's okay, thanks Pasodama. I understand. I do feel aweful, just didn't realize that would happen. It's pretty chilly in my bedroom because we have a window unit air conditioner and my man likes to keep it like ice cicles in there. I do have them set up on some heating cord on top of one of my stackable cages but because I have the containers stacked 3 some 4 high I figured some wasn't getting enough warmth so I just figured I'd take em out for a few min. Ofcourse, I will never ever do that again unless I just want to take one to hold outside. I've done that many of times and it be fine so I don't think that would hurt them any as long as I am holding them one at a time. I use to bring out my adults outside all the time, especially when I'm taking photos of them, even when they were much younger/smaller I would take them out for 20-30min. But I will definently not take em out while they are inside their containers.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #86
Pasodama
Oh yes, taking them outside, while holding them (or for photos), is just fine. I do that too (for photos).
If the temps are in the 90's (or more), I'd only have them in the sun for short periods of time (esp. when very young). Otherwise, in shaded areas.
Yep, it can get rather hot inside the containers. Think about other enclosed areas/things, like a car, or a greenhouse, or... an outhouse ( ).
Even tubs that I keep in a heated room can get a wee warmer, inside, than what the room temp is.
What you had done was an honest mistake and I really do feel for your loss, etc.
Guess it is just something that can be chalked up to a lesson learned and move on to greater thoughts ... like the rest of your lovely babies!
Is there a warmer room, in your home, that the babies can be kept in?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #87
wildlifephotographer
Yes, all the others are seeming to be doing wonderful so far. And I just checked for more shed skins and found three. The odd thing is it's the last three that hatched that have shed. Like it's #17,18 and my snow that I am keeping Ivory which was number 19. #14, 15, 16 have yet to shed. Weird...oh, well. I will be feeding them soon. I was hoping that I could use the middle bedroom for a snake room, but it's being used for storage, and there is tons of stuff in there that I can't move by myself. My boyfriend won't help me with it, and his mom is to weak/sick to do anything really. She has diebetes and congestive heart failure and has a pace maker. So she can't really help me with the heavy things. And since it's her house I don't know what to throw away or what to keep, and or where to put things. Anyhow, since I'm getting paid today I might just go shopping and find something that will help heat them up better. Have any suggestions that might work for them? I don't have much space at all left in my bedroom but I was thinking on putting them in the closet, it doesn't have a door it's broken, but I thought since it's further from the air unit and up higher/heat travels up and if I take the heating cord I have and wrap it around the clothes rack and put some heat cord on the back of the wall that might be better and keep the heat more steady. That's just an idea I thought of. Don't know if it would work though.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #88
wildlifephotographer
Really just need to get a thermestat controller, so I can tell what the temps are. The one's on the bottom of the stack are getting a decent amount of warmth and maybe the second layer as well but to me it just seems like the 3rd and 4th row of containers are getting a very little amount of warmth. If I could put them in the closet I could just have one layer all the way across and maybe they would get the right amount of heat.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #89
Pasodama
Your idea might work out okay. Am having difficulty in envisioning what you mean. At the least end, they would be further away from the AC. Maybe you could pick up a very cheap shelf unit (where you can run the heating cord, or heat tape, on the back of it)? Another idea ... Jeff Mohr has some hatchling racks for sale, in the "Other Animals and Related Items For Sale" section ... rather cheap (price) and you can run the heat cord, or heat tape, on the back of it.
For the babies that have not shed yet, I would give them a little spritz with a water bottle. If completely dry the next day, and they have not shed yet, give another little spritz.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #90
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifephotographer View Post
If I could put them in the closet I could just have one layer all the way across and maybe they would get the right amount of heat.
Could work.
Yes, a thermostat would be a good idea ... as well as a thermometer.
With the thermometer, if unable to place a probe in one of the containers, it would be good to, at least, have it outside the containers so you can gauge an approximate of what their temps are inside the containers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google