CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Keep pinky and the brain
Yes keep them, and let them be happy and looked after 47 95.92%
Dont be stupid - find them a good home cats and snakes cant live together! 1 2.04%
Get new flatmates?? 4 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

corn snakes and cats

Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
alice green
Cool corn snakes and cats

Hmmm I know its not a good idea to keep 2 animals of complete opposites live in the same space but some how I have ended up with 2 kittens and 2 corn snakes
At first I was scared of the snakes but now I'm getting used to thier personalities I'm growing quite attached!
The little snake pinky is sweet but managed to climb to the top of the enclosure and escape from the light hole that unattached when moving in to my room.
I woke up at 2 am with the cats looking over n hissing at each other. My cats are pretty good n have been scared since the snakes moved in (and also don't like sharing my attention) but left the room immediately when I realised what was going on - seemed the little guy was quite proud of him self and let me catch him as both are more social and out going in my room then in previous rooms and carers, and actually don't just hang out in the skull all the time. He wanted to play but I was so freaked out I just out him back in.

Pinky and the brain....but pinky HAS been super adventures and not so innocent and stupid! now crawls up to the heat lamp and hangs out up top, I'm keen to give them a good home and currently redesigning thir enclosure, with ropes, plants and fun stuff- but is it silly to have 2 cats and 2 snakes in the same space??? My flat mates are not happy... But snakes are like the cats and live a very long time.....and only take up a little space. I don't think I have had a flatmate for more then 3yrs straight?? Any suggestions??? Should I be looking to find them a new home or can cats and snakes live happy together??what happens if 1 of them escapes again?? Is it unfair on both animals?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
AliCat37
I have five cats and twenty snakes. Just keep the cages secure and you won't have an issue... you're lucky they didn't kill the snakes. My cats are notorious snake killers.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
alice green
Wow that's quite a lot of snakes!!! I actually had a phobia that I'm trying to overcome hence being gordian of pinky and the brain...I'm really not sure how long it had all been going on for, think it was more curiosity!! but both did not seem that aggressive or distressed.
Thanks for the confidence I really Wang to keep them is convincing the house otherwise....

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Alli_Draggy
Can you keep the snakes in a room that can be shut away from the cats, simply so that if Pinky makes another break for it, he'll probably find a hiding place away from them?

I have two 10 yr old rescued cats who consider the frog tank their private television set, but they pretty much ignore Wadjet. I don't know if a 3 1/2+ foot long snake is simply too big to seem like good prey, or if she doesn't move enough to interest them, while if they tap the glass on the frog terrarium someone is going to jump. I make sure that if I'm doing a water change or feeding for the frogs, I have the door CLOSED so that if one makes a break for it, I have a chance to retrieve him before the cats do!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
mini4x
My cat ignores the snakes completely..

the DOG on the other hand....

Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
kaypar2011
I have 3 snakes and 2 cats and do not have a problem at all. The cats pretty much ignore the snakes.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Buzzard
2 cats and 50+ snakes and have never had an issue... Even with the rare escapee

Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Sarah1228
My cat use to be VERY curious of my 2 snakes, and occassionally the Gecko. The worse he ever did was sit his fat butt on the screen lid to look in. That was only when I left the door open to the room the tanks were in. That was when I first got them. Now he doesn't pay much attention since he figures he can't get to them. All the tanks have lid locks so the snakes can't get out!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Chip
I have lots and lots of animals that are emphatically not compatible with one another. But it is my responsibility to make sure they can never escape their enclosures or come in physical contact with one another.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
bitsy
As long as you never have the snakes out of their tanks with a cat in the room, you'll be fine. If there's no risk of interaction then it's OK. However, escapes are a different matter.

My cat was fascinated by the snakes - not spooked or anxious at all. The problem being that she would've loved to "play" with them in the same way that she would've "played" with a mouse. The way the snakes moved, seemed to fascinate her. I couldn't risk her ever getting near them as she could move really fast. Even if I'd been holding a snake, I couldn't have saved it from a jump + claw swipe.

If a hatchling escapes and finds itself near a cat, the likelihood is that it will be killed. You were very lucky. One of the first priorities of a snake tank is that it should be escape-proof. If you can sort that aspect out (and prevent the cats from jumping/sitting on the screen lid if it has one) then this aspect will be taken care of.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google