CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

One of my Regular Buddies

Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Dale
One of my Regular Buddies

Considering I did my Senior Research presentation as an undergrad Bio student on Gopher Torts & Indigos, it's pretty darn cool that I have a trio of these guys that visit our backyard pretty much weekly. I keep telling him to bring his Indigo friends along next time around but it hasn't happened yet.

Just moved into this place last year, this was an awesome perk.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Christen
That is so cool.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Nanci
Cool! I have one just across my fence line out back, but I rarely see him. There are a couple in my rural area, but it's not really ideal. I wish we had an adoption program for gophers in FL like they do out west with desert torts.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Rich Z
Heck, I don't think I have seen any torts roaming our property this year at all. In the past we've seen a few, even some babies every now and again.

Always been a treat to see them, so I hope they are still around.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Susan
We have one that lives in the "backyard" (if you can call the 3 acres in back of the house a "yard"). I was just out there on Wednesday and saw fresh sand dug up from his hole so I know he (or she) is getting ready for the winter. He has a definite routine...munching the grass in the front yard every spring for about a month, driving the dog crazy, and cruising the rest of his territory the rest of the year. I'll usually see him crossing the road (limerock and minimal traffic) closer to the house some days, and other days, closer to the church almost a mile up the road where it is paved. He knows when a car comes close as you can see him look, then duck as the car goes by, then go about his business as soon as it passes.

I took some photos years ago (2006 to be exact) and it actually didn't take me long to find them! These guys are great to have around and I'm glad I"m not the only one that has one close by!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
ZiggysMom
You lucky people. I have not seen a wild turtle near my house in over 15 years.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google