CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Live plants?

Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
nicolefowler2005
Live plants?

Could you put a live plant in the tank? I've been trying to arrange and fill the empty spaces in Bella's new 40 gallon tank and I was just wondering if that was possible! Like a tiny plant in a really small plant pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
jagodzinski
I have heard of some people using live plants, but personally I wouldn't recommend it. You could accidentally introduce some bugs in that way. Also, your snake would probably make a mess of them dragging soil all over the viv. And I imagine it would be hard to care for them.

If you do decide to go with live plants, make sure you do some research first - what kind of plants are safe, if you should "quarantine" them first to make sure there on no bugs on them. The other thing is I think I have seen live plants at the pet store, so maybe those are safer.

What I have seen recently at Petsmart though are some fake potted plants specifically for reptiles. So you could consider that to avoid the hassle of having a live plant.

Hopefully some people who have used live plants will weigh in.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
they generally don't recommend "Soil, Sand or Dirt" in reptile cages. Most people use shredded aspen, repti-bark or mats, or even paper towels or newspaper for the substrate.
Keeping a living plant alive in those situations would be difficult. It would require soil, light, occasional fertilizing and watering. Some of these could affect the snake. ie - too much humidity, parasites on the plants or soil, fertilizer burn or poisoning etc...

There are some really nice artificial plants and vines available commercially. Most of us use those. There may be some folks that use real living plants, but I can't help you, I'm not one of them.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
nicolefowler2005
Yeah I don't want bugs or any of that so I'll just go with the fake ones!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Distaff
I know this is a fairly old thread, but thought I would chime in.
The practice is well established with frog keepers. It is done with snakes too. The "bugs," so to speak, have been worked out.

Two key books: The Art of Keeping Snakes, by Philippe de Vosjoli, and Natural Terrariums, by Philip Purser.

Most keepers doing this use a version of ABG mix (a natural, non-soil planting substrate worked out by Atlantic Botanical gardens). Plants used for this purpose are sourced from growers who don't use pesticides. The plants and their roots are washed before introduction to the terrarium.

Three good sites give more information, and are plant/equipment sources:
Josh's Frogs
New England Herpetoculture
Black Jungle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google