• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating Problems HELP!

I live in a basement. I haven't had problems with heating until now. I have a 20 gal tank with an appropriate sized uth. I use a day lamp for light for her as well. I've always been able to keep warm side around 85 with thermostat. I currently have thermostat set at 108, the highest I can get and the tank is only at 75 on the warm side (as read from 2 digital thermometers) I was worried this might happen ass it get significantly colder in there in the winter. My light burnt out a couple days ago without my notice, but that normally helps hold Temps steady too. I wanna make sure my baby is nice, safe and warm. I thought of getting another small uth and putting it near the current one to add some more heat and I can adjust the thermostat as needed with the current temp to hold where I need. Is this a good idea or any other ideas? Currently have a towel over the top to help escaping heat, but it's not working too well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Also thought I should say that my tank is on a stand with an open bottom so it's only held on the edges with nothing to trap in the heat below between the tank and anything else.

I'm having the same problem right now. I have my two corns in shoebox size sterilite containers on 3 inch flex watt heat tape but can't quite get above 80 degrees on the warm side. I've added a small space heater to the room on low that has helped bump up my temps to the upper 80s but not really getting the cool spot below that as well. It's frustrating and I can't imagine what my electric bill is going to be [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've heard of using the CHE bulbs also instead of the regular bulbs. Might want to try that.

Oh I also learned from a ball python forum how to cut cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil and duct tape and cover about half to 3/4 of screen top lid if you have that on your tank. Helps hold in the the heat and humidity. I would think adding in a second heating pad on a thermostat or rheostat would be fine too. Maybe also find a way to trap the heat from the open space below (within safe measures of course). Hope this helps. We are always constantly worried about our babies aren't we lol.

I seem top have stabilized it. I got her bulb replaced. I got an additional small uth. I have that set with the timer for the light while I'm not home. When I am home, the space heater is on and I'm able to maintain a solid 82 degrees with that now. Hopefully it continues to work

Blub is not a heater therefore doesn't beed to be controlled. The main uth if on a thermostat, but the additional one is meant for 1 to 5 gal tank so doesn't produce much. I've lowered the thermostat for the main one to keep the Temps good. Seems to be working well for now.

Sounds like you got it under control.
My concern was to make sure all heating devices turn off if the temps in the 20 gal with a cover reaches a dangerous level. Continually heating trapped air will cause an "oven" effect.
What kind of bulb is it ?

Sounds like you got it under control.
My concern was to make sure all heating devices turn off if the temps in the 20 gal with a cover reaches a dangerous level. Continually heating trapped air will cause an "oven" effect.
What kind of bulb is it ?
It's a daytime uva bulb. No cover over the lid now. Heat can escape through mesh lid and under tank which is open.

It's a daytime uva bulb. No cover over the lid now. Heat can escape through mesh lid and under tank which is open.

Corn snakes really don't need any UV but a UVA CFL or fluorescent is ok to give him a day/night cycle. I assume the basement is dark without it. The little UTH on the cool side is a good choice too. :)

Back