CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Do you guys see this behavior and why?

Old 11-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Juliusthecorn
Do you guys see this behavior and why?

So guys,

I read a lot of posts online from people who say their snakes are biting. Now for my snake (11 year old Julius), I do not think it is aggression.

I moved to Ottawa, Canada a few years ago and was not able to take my corn. My parents took care of him for a while. He had not been handled very much because he bit my father by accident once. Since I got him back, I must say I haven't been the best owner, but am on track again. I love this snake!

He is doing some things these days that I am curious about. For starters, he is twitching quite a bit, at times, when I hold him, or get near his face. I heard this twitching can be a mating thing, or maybe he just needs to get used to being held more again? Another thing is that lately, he has been mistaking my arm for food. He will smell around and go for my arm quite a bit as if he thinks it is food. Is this at all normal? I always wash my hands and arms before holding and after.

Lastly, I think he is thin, so I have been feeding once a week now to bulk him up for the last few weeks, about two adult mice each week. I have seen people do this with a thinner snake. Is this alright? Do you guys think he is thin? Oh, and I fed him today!

Any advice would be fantastic guys! Thanks so much!

Old 11-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #2
Shiari
The twitching could be defensive or mating. The trying to eat you is because he's hungry. That said, 2 mice a week is too much. You can overload their system that way. 1 mouse a week until he's a normal is better as you want slow but steady weight gain. Get a kitchen food scale and use that to keep track of his weight.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
Juliusthecorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
The twitching could be defensive or mating. The trying to eat you is because he's hungry. That said, 2 mice a week is too much. You can overload their system that way. 1 mouse a week until he's a normal is better as you want slow but steady weight gain. Get a kitchen food scale and use that to keep track of his weight.
Thank you for the reply. I have been wondering about 1 or 2 and for sure I will stick to one from now on. Now, how do I kno what the correct weight should be for my snake. He does look thin, but do you think I should get him checked out at the vet?

Also, I am aware that corn snakes rarely bite, and when they do, it can be because they are hungry, or they smell food on you. I was before I handle and after, so that's not it, but being hungry maybe. Although I feed once a week now, so why would it still be hungry?

Thanks again for the advice

Old 11-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #4
Shiari
A vet exam is always a good idea. Bring a fresh fecal sample with you too. At the correct weight, while the spine should be the highest point on the back, the sides should be straight up and down and gently rounded near the top to the spine. On him you can see he is overall triangle shaped.

And yes, the bites can still be hunger even on that feeding regime. He's underweight so his instincts are driving him to gorge, but that's not healthy. But I've also had fat snakes do taste-test bites because corns are a bit like labrador retrievers; they will eat until they explode.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
Twitching can also be the early process of separating the old skin from the new. They sometimes do this in preparation for a shed. So the next question should be, when was the last time he shed?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Juliusthecorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Twitching can also be the early process of separating the old skin from the new. They sometimes do this in preparation for a shed. So the next question should be, when was the last time he shed?
I don't know exactly when he shed last, but it was maybe around four weeks ago I would say.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Twolunger
I read this post after welcoming you to the forum. He does appear thin, but you got good advice already. Get a fecal sample and hopefully it's just internal parasites, which can be treated. He should not be thin eating that much. Let us know what you find out.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Juliusthecorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I read this post after welcoming you to the forum. He does appear thin, but you got good advice already. Get a fecal sample and hopefully it's just internal parasites, which can be treated. He should not be thin eating that much. Let us know what you find out.
Well I wasn't feeding him regularly up until a little while ago, which again was my wrong doing and stupidity, (And I will take him to the vet to make sure), but I think he has gained some wait since feeding him more often, so that's a good sign.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
biting, corn snake, feeding, thin