• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What do you do when they die?

Maevenish

So my baby is only 1 and a half, but I just turned 50 and my mind os on taking care of my children and what happens when we all die. So I though I'd ask you guys what you do when your baby snake dies. I thought about keeping her skeleton if I outlive my baby snake Peach. Although she is healthier than I am, I think. My daughter will take care of her after I go, but what if I outlive her? Thanks for your advice.

Wendy

It all depends upon the devotion a person develops for their pet. I've seen people put their deceased pets in a pet cemetery, although those are hard to find now. I know some veterinarians offer cremation services, which allows you to keep the ashes, and use them as you wish. I prefer cremation now, and spread the ashes in nature, since that's where the ancestors of the snakes were found.

I guess I will just dig up a small hole in my backyard and bury them there as I did with all the animals I took care of.

I guess I will just dig up a small hole in my backyard and bury them there as I did with all the animals I took care of.

I have done that too, in the past. We usually buried our pet and then etched the date on a nice rock to remind us of the joy our pet brought to us.

I buy a large planter and a Croton plant and potting dirt.

Put my small pet in a round cookie tin with their favorite toy or piece of their blanket.

I write a love note on the inside if the Cookie tin lid and the date they passed.

Bury the tin in the planter dirt, plant the Croton over the tin.

This way I have a living memorial for that pet.

It isn't necessary to put them in a tin, I just do.

If I move, these potted plants and loved ones can move with me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Since I am a science educator, all of my previously deceased pets have continued to serve an educational purpose in their death, though a different educational purpose then when they were alive.

My mammals were donated to the vet school who kindly gave me back xrays and thin slice microscope slides I could share with students. The African Giant Milipede (my gateway into snakes) was preserved in solution and added to the collection of the school for teaching taxonomy.

I believe I would probably find a way to reconstruct and mount a snake skeleton should one of my squirmies predecease me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you all!

Such wonderful responses. We have buried our cats that passed away in our backyard but I was thinking of keeping the skeleton mounted of my Peach. If I outlive her! She is such a pleasure and makes me smile so much.

Back