CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

The wild snake that got me to get my corn...

Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Maevenish
The wild snake that got me to get my corn...

So I was doing yard work with my son when I spotted this snake. He's interested in lizards and such so I called him over. And he picked it up. We pet it a little then put it back where it was. And then two days later I was at the reptile store and picked up my corn Peach. I thought you all would like to see the wild one. From my searches, it is a Pine Woods Snake (Rhadinaea flavilata) but I definitely could be wrong. We are located in Gainesville, FL.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
blacktip
Cute snake. I wish we had wild snakes in my neighborhood.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
Maevenish
snakes in yard

I have only ever seen this one snake and I've lived in this house for 20 years. I have seen a black racer on my Dad's farm but it was moving fast and I only glimpsed it. The red one above was absolutely a beautiful red color. Once I figured out what kind snake it was I was sad as they apparently don't make good pets. So I was off to the reptile shop. 8-)

Wendy

Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maevenish View Post
I have only ever seen this one snake and I've lived in this house for 20 years. I have seen a black racer on my Dad's farm but it was moving fast and I only glimpsed it. The red one above was absolutely a beautiful red color. Once I figured out what kind snake it was I was sad as they apparently don't make good pets. So I was off to the reptile shop. 8-)

Wendy
I walk or ride my bike for miles looking for snakes. It's funny, but I rode my bike 15 miles one day and saw 2 Gopher tortoises and a spiny-tailed iguana, but no snakes until I got home. There was a kingsnake right in front of my garage. The coolest thing I've seen was a legless lizard, right in my yard.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Nanci
Ohh, you live close to me! Definitely a Pine Woods snake. There are a TON of black racers here. Lots of cottonmouths. Lots of coral snakes. Lots of yellow rat snakes. Lots of corns, apparently, but I've only ever found a few. A decent number of grey rat snakes, which are super tame. The occasional blue gartersnake. The occasional Eastern diamondback rattler. Pygmy rattlers, but I've never seen one close to her- more out to the west. But they're around. Ringnecks are abundant.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Very cool!
We don't have nearly the snakes here.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
chris68
Killer find! Growing up in MD, Black rat snakes and Northern Water snakes were what really pushed me over the edge of my reptile love lol. I grew up watching them eat, mate, lay eggs, give birth. Watching a huge female water snake snake wrestle, overpower and drag onto a beach to eat an equally large eel is something I'll never forget. I spent years (still do) hunting them on the tidal flats, marsh, fields and woods around the mouth of the Gunpowder River where it empties into the Chesapeake Bay. But my first was a Queen Snake. I think our webhost grew catching them not too far from where I just described

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google