CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Thermostat Probe

Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Ro77
Thermostat Probe

Ok so ive got my corn's thermostat probe inside his warm hide on top of the aspen. Ive seen conflicting views on weather to put the probe in the tank on the glass, on top of the aspen or under the tank. So confused an does it matter where it is..? thanx Roy

Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 AM   #2
Twolunger
I use rack containers and my probes are under the containers. I use aspen for the larger corns, but I don't put much in each container because I clean them often. You don't want the aspen so thick that it insulates the heat. I know that many people do it anyway, but the heat at the glass is much hotter than on top of the aspen.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
DeuceRon
Mine is in the tank and on the glass. I try to get the temp regulated between 86 and 90F which should be warm enough on top of the aspen. Shouldn't really matter as long as the temps are regulated. Do whatever is easiest for you.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Ro77
Thanks for the input.. I will keep that in mind

Old 12-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro77 View Post
Ok so ive got my corn's thermostat probe inside his warm hide on top of the aspen. Ive seen conflicting views on weather to put the probe in the tank on the glass, on top of the aspen or under the tank. So confused an does it matter where it is..? thanx Roy

It's generally accepted I think .. to put it UNDER the tank in between the heat mat and glass - wedge it in so it doesn't stray away from the heat mat area .

Some do have probes inside glass and wooden vivs which is fine as long as the probe is fixed over the heat source .

I fix the probes using a hot glue as it holds it in place yet it can be removed by YOU if required .

No kind of tape should EVER be used in a snake enclosure !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Ro77
I see

Zincubus do you find that the temps are more on point that way.. I have my thermostat probe on top of the aspen. an my temps in the warm hide ranges from 78 to 85 in the hide an that seems too much of a difference.. Im trying to figure this all out thats fot the response everyone much apprieciated

Old 12-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
Dragonling
It should be between the bedding and the aspen. You want to see the hottest temperatures your snake can access inside the cage.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
Ro77
Ok so if I put the Thermostat probe on the glass do I still want the thermostat to be set at 85° or should it be higher because the heat would have to go through the bedding

Old 12-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
Zincubus
The highest temp you are aiming for will have to be the glass as the snake will always bury down to the glass .. for example you can't have the substrate at 90F because the glass may be 100F+ and as I mentioned the snake will get to the glass somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Twolunger
This is not rocket science. Affix your probe to the underside of the tank glass and set it at 90 degrees F. Then check the temp at the glass inside the tank, and again on top of your substrate. WalMart has an inexpensive infrared thermometer which is decent and will give you an idea of the temps. Believe me, if the temp is just 82 on top of the substrate your snake will be able to digest with no problem. I've unplugged the heat tape on my adult corn rack when the ambient room temps hit 80 degrees during the summer, and the snakes don't miss a beat at feeding time. 90 degrees at the glass won't scorch a snake, and if you feel the glass you will barely even notice the heat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google