• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Am I feeding enough?

So I asked an awesome fellow forum follower for the Munson Feeding Plan and while looking it over I saw at the bottom that your snake should have a "lump" for 24-48 after feeding!! I'm wondering then, if I am feeding Bella enough because her lump is gone within like 4-5 hours of a feeding! I am feeding her pinkies every 5 days and she takes them quickly and swallows down pretty quickly as well!! Unfortunately I do not have a scale at the moment because the one I ordered on Amazon is on back order and hasn't even shipped yet even though I ordered on Nov. 2nd! She looks healthy to me but I am not used to having snakes so small so I'm not positive!! Please help I want to make sure I am feeding her enough!!

*thank you for reading all my crazy worried mother posts....I know I ask a lot of questions!!

7f2a0eb279df310342bd619717c80e92.jpg

Does she look underfed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a very nice scale at my local Target Store. It's highly accurate and was very well priced.

But you have already ordered a scale so you can weigh her when it arrives. That's the best way to tell about feeding.

To answer your question "Does she look underfed?" No she doesn't. She looks fine to me.

After a baby snake reaches about 18 grams in weight, they can actually eat 2 pinkies per meal until they reach about 25 grams and then you'll feed 1 fuzzy.

That's why the scale is needed. Although the snake looks ok in the picture, sometimes pictures are deceiving and it's still going to be best to weigh the snake and adjust the meals accordingly.

Maybe I'll just buy one and try to cancel the order then!! If it hasn't shipped yet I may be able to! Thank you Karl_Mcknight!!

My Scale

They can be found in the Kitchen wares department. It's actually a Kitchen scale. I'm showing a picture of it. I think it was around 30 bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 93
it will weigh in ounces or grams, and can handle anything up to 11 lbs. I actually use it in the kitchen and for the snake as well, and a corn snake rarely exceeds 2 pounds so I'll be able to use this same scale forever. It automatically "Zeros Out" with a basket or tub placed on it, and then you can simply place the snake in the tub and get the weight. So long as the weight of the tub and snake combined do not exceed 11 pounds.

I use a medium sized Rubbermaid Bowl.

Very pretty snake! If she has a bread loaf crossection shape (round on top and flat on belly) she's on the weight. If she started looking like a triangle with a very protruding spine, that'd be underweight. Yours looks nicely round.

The scale will surely help manage growth and prey. When they are on pinkies sometimes they digest faster. It depends a lot on temperature, as well. Once you get the scale adjust prey and she'll do OK.

I'm going to go get one today!! She's definitely round that's for sure. I appreciate everyone's feedback I feel much better now[emoji2]

I bought this scale on Amazon for pretty cheap, and thus far it's been really accurate (tested with everything from food packages to nickels). I like that it's fairly slim and squarish so it can sit upright between some snack boxes and the knife block without taking up much room.

Your snake looks fine and could maybe move up to double pinkies soon depending on the weight. I will just say though, take any increases slowly. So many times people with a young snake will weigh their snake, panic that they're starving it, and then feed aggressively, causing a regurge. Snakes don't have an exact amount that they NEED to eat, and the Munson plan has always been a bit overboard for me. I use it as a guide and then scale it back.

The lump method is slightly easier to follow than the weight one. If a snake is burning through their food in a matter of hours, they need more. I'd do double pinks at this point.

Well o bought the scale today off amazon and cancelled the one that was back ordered so I'll have it Monday for sure!! Thank you dragonling I got the one you showed me!! Thanks to everyone for the advice!!

I got a very nice scale at my local Target Store. It's highly accurate and was very well priced.

But you have already ordered a scale so you can weigh her when it arrives. That's the best way to tell about feeding.

To answer your question "Does she look underfed?" No she doesn't. She looks fine to me.

After a baby snake reaches about 18 grams in weight, they can actually eat 2 pinkies per meal until they reach about 25 grams and then you'll feed 1 fuzzy.

That's why the scale is needed. Although the snake looks ok in the picture, sometimes pictures are deceiving and it's still going to be best to weigh the snake and adjust the meals accordingly.
I got mine at target too for like 20 bucks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ok so I'm probably just being a worry wart but she's looking more and more dull and has been super lethargic, she did eat yesterday but could this be from not eating enough or could it just be that she's about to shed maybe? Her eyes don't look cloudy but I have had her for about 3 weeks and she hasn't shed yet! Do corns shed once a month?

Ok so I'm probably just being a worry wart but she's looking more and more dull and has been super lethargic, she did eat yesterday but could this be from not eating enough or could it just be that she's about to shed maybe? Her eyes don't look cloudy but I have had her for about 3 weeks and she hasn't shed yet! Do corns shed once a month?

I'd say she's going into shed. She's dull, lethargic and not eating which all are signs of shed

Oh ok so I should leave her alone for a while right? I just get worried since I wasn't sure if I had been underfeeding her and all

Oh ok so I should leave her alone for a while right? I just get worried since I wasn't sure if I had been underfeeding her and all

If she was hungry she would've eaten. They are designed to go 2 weeks without food if necessary. I'd let her be for a couple days. Put in some moist moss in a humid hide and let her get comfortable.

She did eat yesterday but she wasn't as aggressive about it!! But I will make her comfy and see how it goes thank you!!

Back