• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Constricting larger prey

wretchedprocess

My subadult snow corn, Whisper, has recently moved up to small adult mice. (Yay!) Generally, she constricts the once-living Hell out of her f/t prey, which I find adorable. Tonight, however, it went a bit differently. When I offered it to her she bit a chunk out of its belly, which not only resulted in a very stinky and messy feeding bin, but apparently made her decide she didn't need to crush it to kill it. And as she ate, I could hear what I assume were the mouse's bones breaking as it went down. Until I realized why there would be more audible crunching this time I was pretty worried, but I tend to assume Whisper, of all my snakes, knows what she's doing with her food, so I'm assuming she's unlikely to be damaged. But I found it really interesting that there was so much more noise this time. And it occurred to me to wonder whether that is perhaps part of why snakes tend to constrict larger prey, while happily sucking pinkies and peach fuzzies down whole. What do you think, is it possibly because the fully calcified bones are likely to cause more difficulties? And has anyone else ever had a snake not constrict an adult mouse and then crunch like that?

Congrats on the prey size move-up! I've never noticed any crunching noises, even from my adult mouse eaters. Hopefully, someone will have an answer soon :)

Back