• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

7 MO not eating, when to worry?

Parbreaker

Hello, new here.

I have my first snake, which is a 7 month old corn.

Start off, it's been exactly 14 days since last feed and he shed 2 days ago.

Seems healthy, flicking, no bulges, scars, mouth breathing, sores, etc.

Tank is currently a 10 gal with coconut fiber bedding 2" deep, two hides, trees and branches, and heat is graduated from 90*F on one side to about 72* on the left side.

Up until now he has always been a fairly aggressive feeder (other than his first feed ever). He is usually fed with tongs with a mouse warmed to body temp (96-100*F).

I did recently go up to small fuzzies and he has eaten two of them 8 days apart rather aggressively.

After he refused to eat yesterday even after his shed I weighed him and he is slightly under, I think, at 19g. I can't imagine he isn't hungry so I am at a loss as to why he won't eat.

Water is clean.

The only two things I can imagine are maybe, I need to drop back to pinkies for a bit? Or maybe he needs more time after shedding?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update. I went back to a pinky and he ate it like normal.

I figure I'll feed him those every 3-4 days until he gains a bit more weight and girth to try moving up again.

A fuzzy is too large for him at that size, yeah. You can feed him two pinks at a time, but should not feed more frequently than every 5 days.

At that size, he could handle a peach fuzzy (3-4 grams) or double pinkies, but I wouldn't feed a regular fuzzy.

Thanks everyone.

I can't find peach fuzzies locally, so went back to pinkies and he ate them right up like normal.

I tried to feed him 2 at a time since he is a touch underweight and even though he aggresively ate the first one, he had no interest in the second one.

Are some snakes just not as prone to eating two in one feeding? Or should I try it again next time? I want to get his weight up a bit so I figure it's either get him to eat 2 at a time or feed him as often as I can with 1 at a time until he's big enough to go up to fuzzies.

some snakes just won't eat multiple prey items. Offer him one pinky every 5 days if he'll take it that often. If not, then one pink every 7 days will have him grow, just slower.

Back