CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Green tree frog - jumbo sized

Old 05-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
Rich Z
Green tree frog - jumbo sized

So the other day I was down at the shooting gazebo taking photos. I'm planning on screening it in so I can do some shooting without having mosquitoes and yellow flies biting the hell out of me, and I wanted some pics that I could look at to see how I will need to mount the screen brackets.

I'm standing there and I hear what sounds like footsteps coming from behind me. So I turn around expecting to see Connie walking up. Eh? No one there. Then I heard another "footstep" right by my left foot. I look down and see this very large brilliantly green tree frog sitting there. At first I was flabbergasted because it was so much larger than other tree frogs I have seen around here, and SO starkly uniform green that it looked fake. I still suspected Connie was there, and threw this rubber tree frog at my feet. This theory got blown when the tree frog looked up at me. Of course I completely forgot that I had my camera in my hands. So this *fake* frog then takes another couple of leaps (again sounding like foot steps in the dry leaves) and goes under the gazebo.

I finally regained my wits and laid down to peer under the gazebo, and luckily the frog hadn't gone completely out of sight. So I was able to snap a couple of pictures of him, but unfortunately the angle isn't all that great. But better than nothing I suppose.

I'm guessing that the body length was around 3.5 inches or so. I have no idea what kind of tree frog it is, as the usual green tree frogs we see around here are normally no more than half that size.

But this was just a noteworthy day (02-22-2020) for herptiles anyway. Earlier in the day Connie spotted a good sized gopher tortoise in the yard. We haven't seen one larger than a youngster we monitor in his little burrow in quite a while. Not sure where this larger one is living at, as he seemed to be just passing through and not interested in hanging around here.

Some days are just like this around here. You just never know what you might find.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
SnakeCreations
That is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

-Tonya

Old 06-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Rich Z
Had another jumbo sized tree frog at the front door the other night. This one wasn't as big as the other one, and spotted on a green background instead of just entirely green.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Frank Pinello
Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. That solid green guy looked like a beauty.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #5
Rich Z
One of my moderators on FaunaClassifieds told me that these are Barking Tree Frogs. FYI.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google