• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

caring question after hatch..

dek593

Hello.
I need your advice to care hatchling corn snakes. I`ve heard that hatchlings need to be kept in entirely wet area to shed easily. If so,they don`t need under heat device like heat cable or heat tape until shed? Just keep hatchlings in container with water dish and use moss or something else as substrate?
Please, experts...give me some advice to care for hatchlings.
what do you do when you just get hatchlings?

Do you mean when you hatch baby corns, how do you care for them until after the first shed? I put them in a shoebox container, in a rack, at 85F in the warm end, on paper towels, and I mist them very lightly. I feed the day after they shed. I don't sex them until they have had three meals. After they shed, I put them on CareFresh. They always have water bowls big enough to get into. I thought I would like paper towels, but they get dragged into the water bowl and soak the whole container. I thought I would like CareFresh, but it smells weird to me. So after they have had a couple sheds, I move them on to aspen. I feed every five days, FT pinks, slit. I cover for the first feeding.

I`ve heard that hatchlings need to be kept in entirely wet area to shed easily.
Entirely wet? No. Definitely not.

If so,they don`t need under heat device like heat cable or heat tape until shed?
Yes, they do need heat at all times. They need the same heat gradient as adult Corns.

Just keep hatchlings in container with water dish and use moss or something else as substrate?
I use kitchen paper as substrate for hatchlings.

I like to put a little damp moss in a deli, without a lid, and put that in there with the hatchling, upside down- it provides a little damp hide area for them to hang out in. The whole tub doesn't need to be damp.

Back