CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Head Shaking

Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
Callow Methuselah
One of mine does the quivering neck thing, too. I usually notice this after he has stuck his head out of a hide and kept it in that position for a while. Maybe it's just a muscle spasm, kind of like we experience from overworked or dehydrated muscles. Stress can do this to some people as well.

I've heard of chemically-induced Parkinson's and MS in mammals.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
OkeeteeMom
Hmmmm...I wonder if it has something to do along the lines of StarGazers. Or maybe it's just the way some snakes use their heat sensing organs.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
Pollyzilla
My Cornelius does this too. The "Oh no you didn't" is the perfect explanation to how it looks too. lol

Old 08-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
Aurora314
I don't know a lot about stargazers, but wouldn't the snake be exhibiting the behavior consistently when moving? I'd like to know.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #25
MotleyMedusa7
Hey Polly

Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #26
ravendance
From the videos on stargazers that I've seen (hatchlings) it tends to look a lot more severe. Does he do this while he is searching around on the ground as well? Or just when you are holding him? I know someone commented that mice/rats do this as well - has to do with not very good eye sight. (I had a blind rat - fully blind on one side, partial on the other) who would do that all the time) If you've only see him do it in direct sunlight - and he looks to be carrying the albino gene, my guess would be a light sensitivity issue. Maybe someone who has an adult positive for the Stargazer gene could offer some insight?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #27
Pollyzilla
Hi Val!

Old 09-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #28
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdanny79 View Post
the ball python spider morph has a gene in them that has all of them doing that some more than others. that really isnt bad.
Wobble head is certainly bad. I've had spider balls with "wobble heads" to the point they had to be euthanized. It's a disease with a large spectrum, some show no signs of it as babies, then develop it, others seem to "grow out of it," some have it so badly they can not do anything close to normal locomotion, and still others will barely do it a time or two then never show a sign. And animals that have never shown a symptom can have babies that do, and vice versa, so it might not be possible to ever breed the mutation 100% wobble head free.
From the video, if your corn has a similar neurological condition, it is very minor. Interesting that WP mentioned her green snake. My keeled greensnakes did it quite a bit, I suspect arboreal snakes are adapting a behavior that resembles a limb in a breeze -whenever they would crawl from shrub to shrub, it was done so in a series of "sways" like that. Whether that is what is happening with your corn or not, is anyone's guess. I wouldn't be worried, but keep an eye on it for any change.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google