CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Stargazer testing

Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
dave partington
Has stargazer appeared as a heterozygote in non homozygous SK?
Once the groundwork is complete, what would it cost breeders to have their complete inventories tested, @ per animal? All of my morphs came from other breeders, so I sometimes have no idea if one of my snakes came from a het SG 4 generations back. I am not breeding to produce SK, nor to produce SG (even though I have heard it's entertaining to look at, while others say it's undesireable). The videos of feinting goats, which have been around for centuries, are undesireable to me. Interesting topic. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Isoldael
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravendance View Post
Hrmmm - well, I do plan on going to one of the reptile shows in NY, maybe I could ask them? Snakebytes has recently gone through a show change (Animalbytes now) and seem to be more geared towards proper care of reptiles/conservation, etc? So, maybe now that the format has changed they'd do an episode on Stargazing?
It would be great if you could actually ask them. Would be so so awesome if we could actually get this going.

As for how much the tests will cost - estimates have ranged from 15 - 80 dollars per animal. It wouldn't be cheap, but at least we could sell all offspring as 100% gazerfree. That should be worth a lot in itself, and earning such an amount back with awesome little sunkissed snakes should not be a huge problem.

The gene has indeed shown up in non-homozygous sunkissed animals already, which is why this gene is so dangerous. For all we know, all our non-sunkissed animals could be carrying the gene as well... :/

Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
dave partington
I was wondering today-
if there are other, possibly similar, or other debilitating genes in other species of reptile pets.
If there are, would it possibly, possibly, be worth developing genetic testing for all of them?
Sort of a collaborative effort among the entire global herp community, to support funding towards testing of all reptiles; not corn snakes exclusively. Maybe there are bad genes in pythons or other "higher dollar" reptile species? To create a greater cash flow towards researching, and testing for, on a broader scale. Just a random thought.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
Chimaera
I knew about stargazer before I saw somewhat similar actions being done by my cinna bee ball python. I looked up 'stargazer disorder in ball pythons', and was pretty quick to discover the spider morph in ball pythons carry something similar called Wobble. As far as I know, all spider morphs/combos carry the Wobble, yet it may be less prominent in combos. So as far as I know, Corns have Stargazer and Spider Balls have Wobble. I'll keep an eye out for other species that may display similar issues.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I knew about stargazer before I saw somewhat similar actions being done by my cinna bee ball python. I looked up 'stargazer disorder in ball pythons', and was pretty quick to discover the spider morph in ball pythons carry something similar called Wobble. As far as I know, all spider morphs/combos carry the Wobble, yet it may be less prominent in combos. So as far as I know, Corns have Stargazer and Spider Balls have Wobble. I'll keep an eye out for other species that may display similar issues.
Jaguar Carpet Pythons also have neuro oddities. All of them have it, but not all of them express it. Some "corkscrew" pretty bad, some only when stressed or worked up (such as feeding time), and some don't at all.

In Carpets, though, it is not something that can be passed along to non-Jag babies, it is strictly a Jag thing.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #16
Chimaera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Jaguar Carpet Pythons also have neuro oddities. All of them have it, but not all of them express it. Some "corkscrew" pretty bad, some only when stressed or worked up (such as feeding time), and some don't at all.

In Carpets, though, it is not something that can be passed along to non-Jag babies, it is strictly a Jag thing.
OH I remember a breeder friend of mine saying something about Sand Boas having corkscrewing, as well.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #17
dave partington
So, if we test for SG at $80 per snake, we can find out well in advance if the snakes are carriers of SG. Say I had a sunkissed lavender anery and bred it to a golddust stripe, held back a lot of the babies, raised them up, bred them together, and some SG hatched out. I'd be devastated, all that time and money and years and breeding seasons shot, to have SG appear in the bloodlines. From a strictly monetary viewpoint, $80 test per snake sure beats thousands of dollars in food/materials/heating/cooling and hundreds of hours invested-- it sure looks like $160 spent in advance of starting the project is affordable.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #18
Isoldael
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
So, if we test for SG at $80 per snake, we can find out well in advance if the snakes are carriers of SG. Say I had a sunkissed lavender anery and bred it to a golddust stripe, held back a lot of the babies, raised them up, bred them together, and some SG hatched out. I'd be devastated, all that time and money and years and breeding seasons shot, to have SG appear in the bloodlines. From a strictly monetary viewpoint, $80 test per snake sure beats thousands of dollars in food/materials/heating/cooling and hundreds of hours invested-- it sure looks like $160 spent in advance of starting the project is affordable.
I completely agree. This is why I'm really really REALLY hoping we can fund this research. I would love to be able to test my snakes, even though they are not from SK lines as far as I'm aware.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google