CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Western Diamondback or Mojave?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
David Pinter
Western Diamondback or Mojave?

I was out hiking yesterday and came across this snake sleeping in the sand by the trail.

Can anyone one determine if it's a WDB or a Mojave.

Sorry the photo isn't that great, didn't want to get too close.

David

Old 09-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Hearts-a-Glow
I don't know for certain, but living in California I can tell you the Mojave is usually going to look more green than the Western. The diamond pattern fades are you get close to the tail on the Mojave (can't see in this picture) while on the Western it's pretty consistent throughout with minor fading.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
HerpsOfNM
From the looks of the head scalation, that's an atrox (WDB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts-a-Glow View Post
I don't know for certain, but living in California I can tell you the Mojave is usually going to look more green than the Western. The diamond pattern fades are you get close to the tail on the Mojave (can't see in this picture) while on the Western it's pretty consistent throughout with minor fading.
Head scalation (enlarged between the supraoculars in mohaves) and tail banding (white and black bands are approx. 50/50 in atrox, with the white 2x wider than the black in mohaves) are the most reliable methods of identification between atrox and scutulatus. Some examples that contradict fading for IDing:

Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Nanci
Great pics!!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Great pics!!
I try. Took me a while to get my site back up a running. But these and all my other NM herp pics are up once again.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
bushsnake
id say atrox. you can tell them apart by the eye stripe. On the westerns the eye stripe is for more forward and on the mojaves it starts further back.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
El Jefe
Those are some awesome photos Chris!!! PM Sent

Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #8
Joba
Great pic. Where were you hiking?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
Myca
Really David. Why wouldn't you want to get too close? Great shot. They look wicked.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:54 AM   #10
gzgraph
I'm leaning more towards Atrox, but could possibly be a naturally occurring intergrade.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google