CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Getting tired of it...

Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #32
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
It just seems that, to an extent, everyone likes to make a mountain out of a mole hill regarding the "intermittent" negativity.
Bada Bing!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #34
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdorfer
Bada Bing!
I have to agree... However most negativity these days are from new members refusing to take advice from people who have been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

HOWEVER I still think creating an "elite" forum was very petty and that will not solve any problems. I see a lot of members on there that are on here and that have been known to cause a lot of negativity. And of course now the "private" forum has had a little publicity, theres going to be even more new members. I hope Caroline finds the time to track them all down and revome them also.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #35
PtDnsr
I probably really should just keep my mouth shut but here goes nothing...

IMO it's not so much the negativity (but there does seem to be more in the overall tone) as the "it's not home" atmosphere that's been mentioned a lot. I'll be the first to admit I don't have as much time to post and read as I used to but I still manage to get on at least once a day. As far as the "greats" they were part of that homey atmosphere that (for the most part) we all liked. Sure there were issues but it was more like siblings. Now it seems that there's just petty bickering going on to some extent. I also don't think it comes down to the old guys vs. the newbies. There are some newbies on here that I respect a lot because they have taken the time to do their research, can type correctly, and also type intelligently. There are other newbies I completely ignore because of the apparent rudeness (intended or not), typing, and chat-speak . I will always come to this forum as it's what helped spark my interest. I think that this forums can still be great but we need to get over this rut that we're in and do something about it. If we don't like the negativity start saying something positive (or nothing at all). Go out of your way once a day to say something nice that may not get said otherwise. It's not that hard. Besides - I don't like to deal with the same drama at home that I do at work.

~Katie

P.S. - I would also like to point out that the whole negativity about the other forum isn't helping things. I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that. But I also think that we shouldn't dwell on that fact or it will keep dragging everyone down. Besides - if there's a big split in the corn world it will royally mess with things down the road (think genetics, proving things out, etc.). My 2 cents.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #37
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
Mabye it's just me, but can anybody, off the top of there head, cite more than 1 or 2 of these "negative" posts/blow-ups that they are referring to (excluding the chat fiasco)?

This illustrates my point perfectly. That's one link off the top of your head. If the forum were overflowing with this stuff and it was really weighing on your mind that heavily, you should have been able to tell me several cases where this had recently happened. I'm not exclusively talking about offering links to the threads. I'm saying that if it was so rampant and you were so aware of it, you should be able to say, "Well, Zach, it's been happening in the tara rose cohab thread, the whatever thread, the this thing thread, etc, etc.

Instead, I only see one. It took 10 minutes before you were able to pull up the next one. Certainly, if I fired up the search function, I could eventually find a whole host of threads...if I wanted to keep dredging up old issues.

I'm not in any way trying to pick on you. I'm only trying to illustrate my point. Twenty other people could each post a link to one thread that came to their mind, but unless a significant number of those twenty can easily cite more than just 1 or 2 intances, I just am not buying the story that it's such an out of control problem on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtDnsr
IMO it's not so much the negativity (but there does seem to be more in the overall tone) as the "it's not home" atmosphere that's been mentioned a lot.
I agree with this. Meaning that I believe it's just an overall shift that has caused the forum to feel less like home. When I log in, just skimming down over the new threads and such, it doesn't have the same feel...but it's not at all related to negativity.

In all honesty, I do believe it is related to many of the newer members...HALT! I'm not condemning all new members. In general, a fair number of the newer members just seem to have a...how should I put it..."different style". There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just different. It's not to my taste, but I can't admonish them all just for that reason.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #38
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBogart
I don't really get involved in the basic, repetitive, threads anymore because after awhile I figured out that most people hear what they want to hear and are hoping at least someone will agree with their views for self validation.
Great point, this is another main reason I've been on the quiet side lately. There is more than enough information to be found by searching this site, and I get tired of spending 30 minutes typing information that could have been found in a 30 second search. When I do take the time, it's rarely appreciated and that person just goes for the advice they wanted to hear in the first place, and I'm evil for offering an opinion that requires work.

Every forum you go to is going to have an administrator that is prone to human error. No one is ever going to go to a forum where one agrees with all the actions of the admin. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of how some were treated here, but I try to not let that ruin the site for me.

Tula, you can't tell me you're that upset. See if from this perspective, these are all attributes you gave yourself...
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=26
Surely you can see why an administrator would be shy of someone who proclaims themselves to be psychotic and annoying. Not to mention someone who seems to pride themselves for wasting an administrator's time enough to ban you three times. I have nothing against you personally, but I do admit I'm always suspicious of what your motives are. I remember when Chat here was in full swing, you were quite proud of being banned, and quite proud of getting people all in a stir. I'm sure Caroline was there many of those nights as well and remembers the disrespect you had for Rich's time and energy. Can you really blame her for not wanting to go there? I personally wouldn't have kicked you until you acted up. However, banning someone who is a self proclaimed trouble maker (and proud of it) before they cause trouble does not make it secret or snobby. That's as much of a strech as saying this place is the perfect place to go for cornsnake information because Tula makes so many "nice" posts here.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #39
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
Great point, this is another main reason I've been on the quiet side lately. There is more than enough information to be found by searching this site, and I get tired of spending 30 minutes typing information that could have been found in a 30 second search. When I do take the time, it's rarely appreciated and that person just goes for the advice they wanted to hear in the first place, and I'm evil for offering an opinion that requires work.

Every forum you go to is going to have an administrator that is prone to human error. No one is ever going to go to a forum where one agrees with all the actions of the admin. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of how some where treated here, but I try to not let that ruin the site for me.

Tula, you can't tell me you're that upset. See if from this perspective, these are all attributes you gave yourself...
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=26
Surely you can see why an administrator would be shy of someone who proclaims themselves to be psychotic and annoying. Not to mention someone who seems to pride themselves for wasting an administrator's time enough to ban you three times. I have nothing against you personally, but I do admit I'm always suspicious of what your motives are. I remember when Chat here was in full swing, you were quite proud of being banned, and quite proud of getting people all in a stir. I'm sure Caroline was there many of those nights as well and remembers the disrespect you had for Rich's time and energy. Can you really blame her for not wanting to go there? I personally wouldn't have kicked you until you acted up. However, banning someone who is a self proclaimed trouble maker (and proud of it) before they cause trouble does not make it secret or snobby. That's as much of a strech as saying this place is the perfect place to go for cornsnake information because Tula makes so many "nice" posts here.
I commend you Carol - for seeing some sort of reason in all of this.

HOWEVER I do not understand how on earth any of that BS could be taken seriously?! If THAT kind of sarcasm condemns someone then I just don't know what to say.

No I am not upset about not being part of the elite team - I am PROUD I am not associated with it.

As for being banned - Twice was for being arrogant, silly, rude etc. Once was a complete misunderstanding of the use of my Scottish slang towards another member - Not that I need to clarify or justify myself. I apologised to Rich on all 3 occasions. I DO respect his authority and his decision to ban me on those occasions.

I DO NOT respect Carolines decision in any way shape or form. If she is that precautions, doubting and downright paranoid thats her problem. Personally I think it was a weak decision which she only made to shut other members up that she obviously values (ie the ones that handed over the $25)

Old 01-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #40
tyflier
Well, Zwyatt...just off the top of my head--

There are the 2 threads started by TaraRose in which she was repeatedly chastised simply for seeking out ALL opinions, not just one. And she wasn't told just once...she was repeatedly chastised by many different people, over and over in 2 different threads.

There was the whole jdizzy to pcs username sweitch wherein someone was trying to "startover". Now in all fairness, he didn't deserve a second chance, as it turns out, true enough. But folks didn't wait until he acted up before they started being negative.

There was the whole cs.com video thread. Granted, PCS needed to learn how to take respectful criticism. But a good lot of the thread was not so much respectful criticism as it was bashing.

There was the Q + A thread where there was a good deal of bashing going on. An it wasn't just geared towards one individual.

Then, of course, there are the threads where people deserve the disrespect that they recieve, but they are overtly negative just the same. Those would include, but not be limited to 2 different threads by JGAust and 2 different threads by some pirate guy. Now I will grant you that those threads were utterly ridiculous and the negativity and disrespect brought about were more or less deserved. But again, they were overtly negative in tone, and, In my very humble opinion, the tone takes away from the board as a whole.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the whole forum is becoming some bashing-ground where people need to start worrying about being harrassed everytime they state an opinion. It's not THAT bad. But I have noticed a trend, very, very recently, like the last few weeks, in which one person will make a comment which suggests someone is doing something wrong, and out of nowhere there comes this throng of people behind, all saying the same thing, but each one getting progressively less respectful, until the person who started the topic or is being accused of wrongdoing feels like they are being insulted personally about their husbandry skills.

As I said, I really don't think their is an "overwhelming" amount of negativity. But there does seem to be a recent trend of gang-piling over matters of opinion which just seems uncalled for and unnecessairly disrespectful.

This is, of course, merely my $.02 Your mileage may, and probably wil, vary...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google